Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » GLBT Arts and Music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GLBT Arts and Music
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a thread around about people's favorite GLBT movies. So I figured maybe we should have a thread about favorite GLBT artists.

I'm a huge fan of Placebo. They have very queer lyrics. I mean, who can resist a catchy tunr like "Nancy Boy?" In interviews, they have said that half the band is gay (an interesting remark because there's only 3 of them) Placebo's lead singer is a bisexual transvestite. The drummer is heterosexual and the bass player is gay. Anyway, they're one of my favorite bands. The music is kind of dark, with splashes of punk and goth in between. Very cool. Definitely pick up their second album 'Without You I'm Nothing' if you have the chance.

I'm also a fan of Pansy Division. They're a SF punk band whose schtick is being gay. All their members are openly gay. All their songs are about relationships and being gay, for example "Bad Boyfriend" and "Bunnies." I don't own any albus, but i have seen them play live many times -- they're a riot! Great stage shows!

And as for favorite GLBT artists, I'm a big fan of Keith Haring. He died about a decade ago from AIDS, but before his passing, he did many murals about the queer community, paintings about AIDS and HIV, and just happy pictures of people. His style is pretty distinct: thick black outlines and solid bright colors filling in, kind of like stick figures butnot really. you'll know it if you see it.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
neat-o thread!

here are mine:
placebo
queen
mindless self indulgence
a perfect circle

there are probably a TON more that i don't know about. those sneeky artist, they're so secretive, trying to have privacy and whatnot. sheesh.

------------------
Hail Eris! KaAAIXTI! All hail Discordia! 23 Skidoo!

"If you're going to be a non-conformist, you're going to have to wear the uniform."

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head, my favorite's are Placebo, Bitch and Animal, and Ani DiFranco.
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scribbled
Neophyte
Member # 8849

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Scribbled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
REM!
Posts: 17 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron Copeland
Peter Illich Tchaikovsky
Andy Warhol
Toller Cranston

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
golly! i totally forgot about ani difranco! and i wasn't all that sure about andy warhol, but now i know! add 'em to the list!

------------------
Hail Eris! KaAAIXTI! All hail Discordia! 23 Skidoo!

"If you're going to be a non-conformist, you're going to have to wear the uniform."

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evie ivy over
Neophyte
Member # 9306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evie ivy over     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Murmurs! Alas, the band is no longer, but they were just adorable. (I've heard that two of the girls are forming a new band called Gush, but I haven't heard their music yet.)

No one has mentioned Melissa Ferrick yet - if you like music in the vein of Ani Difranco, you simply must check her out. She's AMAZING.

I'm more fond of Ani's later work than her earlier discs. Little Plastic Castle, Dilate, and To The Teeth are full of great tunes.

I like Placebo a lot. Their first two albums were great, but I never really got into Black Market Music. I missed my chance to see them live because I didn't have a car and no one else wanted to go with me. Ugh!

I'm not certain if any of the members of the Scottish band Belle & Sebastian are GLBT, but smatterings of their lyrics are very gay-friendly.

Melissa Etheridge, the Indigo Girls, and K.D. Lang also rock.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evie ivy over
Neophyte
Member # 9306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evie ivy over     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also Rufus Wainwright. His voice is a little bit grating to my ear, but the melodies of his songs are lovely.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-ani difranco
-melissa etheridge
-the murmurs
-placebo
-mindless self-indulgence (from what i've heard of them, which isn't much)
-tatu

and that's all i can think of. o_o;

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unnamed
Neophyte
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unnamed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Keith Haring. You can see some of his work at www.keithharing.com.

Posts: 8 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article today in the New York Times (you have to register to see it, but it's free to do so) about gay rappers.

The most interesting thing to come out of the article for me, is that record label execs willing to get involved with gay rappers, seem to suggest that they won't be marketed as rappers who happen to be gay; rather, they'll likely be marketed as gay people who happen to be rappers.

So, basically, they're resigned to the fact that many hardcore hip-hop fans won't take these rappers seriously. So, to make the artists successful, they'll market them to the gay people - have them play pride events and such.

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shine
Neophyte
Member # 6523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That article is very interesting Dzuunmod, thanks for posting it. I belive I heard something about that on NPR last year, but I'd forgotten all about it.

My favorites:
I really love Rufus Wainwright, his music is so beautiful.
John Cameron Mitchell is just wonderful. I'd love to meet him.
Andy Warhol, of course.
Placebo. I love them. And Brian Molko is lovely.
A friend of mine recently introduced me to The Pansy Division. (It was hilarious to see the straightest boy who has ever existed, in his letter jacket and crew cut, gushing about how this was his favorite band ever. Way to crush stereoptypes.)
Todd Haynes is a fabulous director.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

[This message has been edited by shine (edited 04-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by shine (edited 04-20-2003).]

Posts: 13 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Phranc, who does a lovely Herman's Hermits cover, or Erasure? And the ever sad and wonderful Moz, though he's never really confirmed or denied his orientation (not that that's ever something someone should have to do).

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nappyafrochik
Neophyte
Member # 11950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nappyafrochik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mine include me'shell n'degeocello. i guess i spelled that right. and the Butchies. Butchies are like punk rockish. me'shell is r&b with a lotta messages in her music. there's always the melissa etheridge and queen contingent also...garsh, i can't think of any more.i know i will as soon as i click on submit reply.

------------------
--->O_o<---

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone here know if sleater-kinney or bikini kill are "lesbian bands"? i was just curious... anyway, i think i already posted in this thread under a different name, but i like tatu, MSI, placebo (mm brian), the murmurs, ani difranco, bitch and animal, and i heard sinead o'connor was a "sometimes lesbian" and i like her so... yeah. i bet there's more. i just can't think of them.

as for artists, definitely andy warhol. he was always my favorite. and i'm willing to bet the girls in CLAMP dabble in lesbianism, just based on the themes of their work. hee.

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am not mistaken (and usually I'm not when it comes to rock music trivia, but hey, it happens), Sleater Kinney and Bikini Kill (and le Tigre, if you wanna carry it over to their newest incarnaion since there's a lot of overlap between the three) are straight riot grrls. I believe Kathleen Hanna has had some prominent rock and roll boyfriends.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoorah for Sleater-Kinney! As for their sexual orientation, no one other than themselves can give you the correct answer, but here's what I've read.

In an interview a couple years ago, around when Dig Me Out was released, I remember reading a newspaper article saying that guitarists/singers Corin Tucker and Carrie Brownstein had briefly dated but then broke up. I know the drummer Janet Weiss is divorced from fellow Quasi bandmate Sam Coombs. I don't know about their current romantic life, but I do know that Corin Tucker gave birth to (or adopted?) a baby a year or two ago. A closer look at their lyrics from their self-titled, Call the Doctor, and Dig Me Out albums certainly can reveal lyrics that can be interrupted as having lesbian themes (Hmm... I'm not sure about the wording.)

As for Le Tigre, I can only think of Kathleen Hanna right now, who, as Gumdrop Girl said, has had boyfriends (including Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters/Nirvana fame). I'm not sure about her bandmates.

Whatever the case is, their music is definitely inclusive and awesome. The record labels they are on Kill Rock Stars and Mr. Lady Records have a number of openly GLBTPQ (and S) artists.

Ahhh... I have gotten pretty behind on music trivia since starting college, but I used to read tons of articles/interviews/etc. You can find a lot of interesting/random/cool info about your favorite artists by doing searching for old articles and such online-- I used to do this a lot.

------------------
"Tear up the cloak of indifference that you have wrapped around your hearts! Make up your minds before it is too late!" ~Sophie Scholl

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, I just saw The Gossip live here last night and they completely rocked.

They have three dics out, if I recall right, and they're a great queer band. So, if you need someone new to add to your stacks, might want to look their way.

(...though it seems a fitting time to remind that the price of one CD could also be a very nice donation to Scarleteen...)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenaSuperStar
Neophyte
Member # 4051

Icon 14 posted      Profile for JenaSuperStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Music:

Tegan and Sara
Amanda Lepre
Ani Difranco
Melissa Ferrick

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~JenaSuperStar~~~~~~~~~~

"Cos I used to be a superhero... no one could touch me, yeah not even myself.... you were like a phone booth that i somehow stumbled into... now look at me I am just like everybody else!!!"

-Ani Difranco

[This message has been edited by JenaSuperStar (edited 07-02-2003).]

Posts: 36 | From: Brownsville,TX,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh. i downloaded a bunch of tegan and sara songs (yes, i'm cheap and illegal) and i do quite like them. especially "the first". they remind me of the adopted love child of ani difranco and jill sobule. just based on their music i mean.

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenaSuperStar
Neophyte
Member # 4051

Icon 4 posted      Profile for JenaSuperStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sachie:
they remind me of the adopted love child of ani difranco and jill sobule.

YES!!!

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~JenaSuperStar~~~~~~~~~~

"Cos I used to be a superhero... no one could touch me, yeah not even myself.... you were like a phone booth that i somehow stumbled into... now look at me I am just like everybody else!!!"

-Ani Difranco

Posts: 36 | From: Brownsville,TX,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noelle_Kittie
Neophyte
Member # 13843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noelle_Kittie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so happy to hear you talking about Ani Difranco. I am a mad fan of hers. Also, Bitch and Animal, Belle & Sebastian, Azure Ray, Alix Olson....the list goes on. I love the hard core feminist rockers; they make me so modivated. Thanks for the great website, I'm new by the ways.
Posts: 5 | From: Highland, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noelle_Kittie
Neophyte
Member # 13843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noelle_Kittie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we are talking about gay movies, here are just a few that come to my mind that I happen to enjoy:

But I'm A Cheerleader
If These Walls Could Talk 2
FoxFire (not exactally gay but gay undertones)
Chasing Amy
All Over Me

Posts: 5 | From: Highland, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ADORE Rufus Wainwright. I love his voice, his songs are beautiful, and as if that wasn't enough, he's cute too. Has anyone heard "Complainte de la Butte" from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack? It's so romantic!
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linny
Neophyte
Member # 13981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tatu rox!!
also i would recommend checking out the broadway play Rent. they have cd called the best of rent and its really good. most of the people r gay and lesbian.

Posts: 6 | From: Batavia,IL U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Kerouac--omg I'm reading On the Road right now, it is perhaps the most beautiful book I have ever read.

Foucault, although he was more of a philosopher than an artist.

And of course, all of the above. Particularly Rent--while the actors may be straight, their characters certainly aren't.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Jill Sobule. For some reason, "I Kissed a Girl" just makes me think of my friend Jill (ookuotoe). It's got a folky feeling to it, and it just puts me in that sort of mindset.
Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by linny:
tatu rox!!

i heard they're splitting up. *shrugs*

------------------
more surly than girly...

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 14 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hee. And since I love that song (and Jill Sobule in general) I'll take that as a compliment.

Gaffer, I don't know if you've ever read any other beat lit. but most of the writers in that genre were gay and they've put out some really cool stuff. If you have any angst whatsoever you'll find something you can relate to. I'd recommend William S. Burroughs' "Words of Advice for Young People" to anyone.

------------------
"I'll memorize everything you do to me/So I can teach it when it comes my turn."
-- Semisonic, "Chemistry"

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Zor-El
Activist
Member # 14499

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Kara Zor-El     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecofem:

As for Le Tigre, I can only think of Kathleen Hanna right now, who, as Gumdrop Girl said, has had boyfriends (including Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters/Nirvana fame). I'm not sure about her bandmates.

[/B]

Sorry I'm so late to the party here -- going with Le Tigre's first album line-up, Sadie Benning is definitely a lesbian. Some of you may recall that about ten years ago she was the teen lesbian video artist who made short films with her Fisher Price pixelvision camera. Really cool stuff and probably the first crossover (mentioned on these boards, anyway) between artist and musician.

I love Sleater-Kinney, too (who doesn't?) and both SK and Le Tigre kick ass in concert. (I'm too young to have seen Bikini Kill, but I love them too)

Another great lesbian group was Two Nice Girls (I'm totally retro, I know). They sang the great, woeful country ballad, "I Spent My Last $10 (On Birth Control and Beer)" which may still be available on Rhino's Lesbian Favorites compilation CD. I believe all their other stuff is out of print (2 albums and an EP -- all of which I have on vinyl) but it's totally worth the hunt through used record stores.

Posts: 123 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kara, I've NEVER seen them on vinyl (and I've spent enough time in record shops, and found all sorts of odd stuff, like Shonen Knife on transparent orange, and a German Beach Boys LP), but I know some people have committed them to digital media.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

This is the time to unite over the Revolution of the Pants

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VelvetWhiteStripe
Neophyte
Member # 14565

Icon 14 posted      Profile for VelvetWhiteStripe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YAY, Placebo, I LOVE them!!!! It's all about Placebo (I'm having Molko's kids).
Posts: 2 | From: Nashville, Tennessee, United States | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.