Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Reactions and sexuality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reactions and sexuality
gurl15
Neophyte
Member # 9642

Icon 3 posted      Profile for gurl15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is so much harder to come out to girls than guys. They always think well oh ,she just told me she likes me! Well it's not even like that. Your once friends will think they now need to protect themselves around you and they no longer give you friendly hugs. I also find it is easier to tell people who are not your friends than your friends. I guess because people who aren't your friends could care less.
Posts: 7 | From: Charlotte,NC,US | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what it is that you're looking for here, in terms of responses, but I'll give it a shot.

I disagree - for a few reasons. First of all, I'm a guy. So, for me to come out (as bisexual) to male friends could be taken by them as an indication of interest in them. Second, it's been my experience that young men and boys are generally more homophobic than young women and girls. I'm not saying that there aren't tolerant, understanding male high schoolers out there, I just think that they're not as easy to find. Finally, I think that in North American society, at least, boys and men are much, much more likely to accept female bisexuality and homosexuality because those things are typical male fantasies. What goes on in the fantasies and in real, lesbian relationships however, are usually two completely different things.

Anyway, when I came out to some of my friends in high school, I generally found it easier to come out to the girls, than to the boys.

------------------
"Impress yourself!"
-Braid, Milwaukee Sky Rocket

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chyna2255
Neophyte
Member # 7673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chyna2255     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am Bi and I guess I was lucky cause it was pretty easy for me to tell both my guy friends and my girl friends. As matter a fact I think my girl friends took it alot better. It was also easier for them to except it.

------------------
"We who are truley brave will never live in fear" The Rock
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Love may be blind, but jealousy sees too much. -- Unknown

Posts: 25 | From: denver,co,usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.