Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » The Sting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Sting
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me Scarleteen for I have sinned.

The confession.

In recent times a surprising situation has developed among my peer group. A significant majority are now pro-homosexuality. Even those who had never even questioned their own straight sexuality will openly argue the case for people's right to choose. However, there are still a few with homophobic views. They have now become very defensive and especially suspicious.

On a summer school trip to Europe a massive debate over the viability of homosexuality ensured. We were clearly winning the argument on the logic front so the opposition started simply insulting the only one among us who is clearly gay.

These insults reached a crescendo at a dinner discussion. One of the main offenders was a someone who I had previously counted a friend of mine. I asked him politely to stop twice. He refused on both occasions. I became rather angry at this.

I hatched a plan that I was later to regret. Everyone else agreed to it. Several of us went back to the hotel we were staying at a little early and laid a trap for the miscreant. Our gay friend agreed, at the correct signal, to sneak up and give a kiss (not a "French kiss" or anything just a little peck) to the homophobe. I had my camera ready to capture this event. Planned like an assasination, the plot worked almost perfectly.

The reactions of our victim were more extreme than we had imagined. First he tried to attack me to get the camera, then attacked anybody around who he assumed was involved in the sting. In the morning he was still furious and even started a fight with me at the airport on our way home before, using many methods including the help of a teacher he persuaded me to delete the picture.

Many of us now believe that his views on homosexuality are so extreme that it is likely his fear of them comes from something within himself. In other words, he thinks he might be gay but will not admit it to himself.

I had found the incident incredibly entertaining at first. The majority of people on the trip believed the homophobe got what was coming to him, though his violent reaction was what we should have expected in the first place. I may lose a friend, but one who I was probably going to lose one way or another. But this is a confession and I am not sure what I orchestrated was justified now.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what kind of response you're looking for here...not that I'm going to let that stop me.

The side of me that has morals is thinking that this was a very bad thing and a bit immature. Yes, he may have deserved it but revenge just perpetuates the cycle and should be avoided. He should also be avoided instead of set-up.

The rest of me is highly disappointed that the picture was destroyed. That side is also snickering and muttering about how he got what was coming to him. We're going to ignore that side though because we both know better.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.