Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » switching?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: switching?
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you think it is possible for a person to "switch" sexualities? i'm not quite sure myself. but i do know that last monday, i was bisexual. now it's a week later and i'm a lesbian. do you think i was only using the label "bisexual" as a shield, as it is more acceptable to be bi, or was i really bisexual for a period in my life? is sexuality fixed at birth or is it flexible? when i was younger, i was straight with a few girlcrushes. at 12 i was bisexual. now i'm 14 and a full-blown lesbian. have i really switched sexualities or is that impossible? i'm confused about this all. tell me what you think.

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things here, Shimmering. First, I think there are a lot of people out there who would argue that it's not as acceptable to be bisexual as it is to be homosexual. At least when you're homosexual, some people might say, you have a definite place where you fit in. Even in big cities, by contrast, it can be very hard to find bisexual communities. Bisexuals are sometimes seen by both gays and straights as "fence-sitters", people who can't make up their minds.

Second, I'd say that it's possible to 'switch', but I don't know if that's the right term for it. I don't think there are very many people out there who say, "I think I'm going to be bisexual for the next two years," for instance. I think 'evolve' might be a better way of putting it. Sexuality for many people is fluid, that's to say it's always changing. In fact, I'd argue that pretty much everyone's is, because most people are constantly finding themselves to be attracted to new people. Even if you're definitely heterosexual, say, and you've been so for all your life, you can still have different attractions at different times in your life. For sometime, you might be attracted to redheads, and then lose that later on. It's not quite the same as going from hetero to homo, for instance, but it's an evolution nonetheless.

If someone tells me that I can only be one of the three widely accepted sexual orientations (homo, hetero or bi) for the rest of my life, I'm gonna tell that person to take a hike.

------------------
Why don't you admit, you don't have the balls to be a queer?
-Screeching Weasel, "I wanna be a homosexual"

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.