Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Gays on Saskatchewan campus want own dorm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gays on Saskatchewan campus want own dorm
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gay students at the University of Saskatchewan, in Saskatoon, are lobbying the administration for a residence building of their own on campus.

It would definitely be a first in Canada - a similar project is already occurring at the University of Massachussets, in the United States. I suppose this'll make things better for those students in the short term, but is it really what gay people want? Do you want to keep yourself hidden away from the rest of the world, sealed in your gay-friendly container?

As you can probably guess, I'm not really in favour of such a move. I think that people need to be taught sensitivity and understanding on a larger scale then what's being proposed here. In all likelyhood, I believe it'll just make homophobes more secure in their feelings (i.e. "We sure chased them ******s outta here real good!").

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "black-only" dorms (yes, I know, they already exist in the U.S.), "redhead-only" dorms, "lefthanded-only" dorms?

If separatists of whatever persuasion want to found their own off-campus co-op housing (exists at University of Toronto) that's OK if misguided. However using public money to fund segregated dorms is probably illegal in Canada.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want a transgender dorm!

Yeah. I think this could get very impractical, very quickly.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninaBruja
Neophyte
Member # 5622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninaBruja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't think that's a good idea for the same reason i think single-sex schooling is a good idea. gay and straight people are going to need to interact w/each other at SOME point! to seperate them like that just implies they should keep to themselves. not cool.
what is college for if not opening your mind, anyway?

------------------
i was thinking that i might fly today
just to disprove all the things that you say

Posts: 27 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I also think that this is a bad idea. First and foremost, and maybe I'm being paranoid, I have to think that grouping all of the homosexual (or bisexual) students together is like putting them in a building shaped like a gigantic target. Like I said before, though, I'm probably just being paranoid.

Second, I also have to think that the seperation aspect is a bad idea. I can understand that there are arguments for the "support group" setting, but, with a little digging, you can find that same setting within the GLA chapter at your school without having a seperate housing unit.

If there's enough of a demand for this, then get the university to sign a charter, and start your own frat strictly for gay guys. Otherwise, if you're interested in the support offered, look at the options you have already in place.

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 10-24-2001).]

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their motive for this new dorm or area of the dorm is to protect thee studetns from violence and harassment. Seems like a good motive to me, but I agree that it doesn't make the homophobia, and the expression of it, go away.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So then some homophobes observe who is coming/going at those dorms, and beat the tar out of them somewhere else.

What problem does this solve, again?

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this dorm is modelled after a successful one in the US. I assume if the US one had an increase in violence they would not have decided to implement it on their campus.

Still, I am not sure if segregation is the way to go, but I do understand their motives.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the article, I get the impression that they're not looking for a "gay-only" dorm, but a "gay-friendly" dorm. Straight people, it seems, are welcome, as long as they're "sympathetic to gay issues", whatever that means.

That being said, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. And it sounds like it could be a very cool dorm to live in.

------------------
Banana, pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, cherimoya, coconut, carambola, mango,
tango, mambo, limbo, samba, cha cha cha!

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh...whaddaya know, finally something I can be an expert on.

I live in Saskatoon. I've been to the University, and was once a student there. I have gay, bi and transgendered friends who attend it. It's not a good situation.

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Center is hidden deep in the dank basement, two doors down from the bar. It's part of a small coalition of student centers (Help Center, Women's Center and LGB Center). Their posters are vandalized. Their ads are painted over or otherwise destroyed. Coming Out Day's a fiasco in and of itself. The University doesn't deal with any gay student issues, though the volunteers at the student centers are _great_ (worked there, loved 'em all).

Yeah...

A gay-friendly dorm would be a giant leap in the direction of happy-friendliness towards gay people on campus. Not a gay-only dorm, but a gay-friendly one. Student housing on campus is at a premium as it is (3 on campus dorms, a couple of religiously affiliated dorms and two, I believe, off campus shared apartment complexes). Unfortunately, I can't see it being a safe place for very long. It's existence would take the inter-dorm wars to a new level.

I think what the LGB folks are trying to do here is bring more attention to the issues at hand. I mean, until last year, Ag Bag Drag was het-couple only. Seriously, they were only selling tickets to boy-girl couples.

Sometimes, I hate my city.

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldnt that mean that there will still be segregation at the University but it will be by politics and ethics rather than sexuality. Its probably still not a very good situation when you cannot have people of different beliefs co-existing and defeats the whole point of freedom loving societies in general.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the university I went to, we had dorms segregated by all sorts of things: interest in the arts, speaking a foreign language, doing community service, drinking a lot ...

Self-segregation happens a lot, at universities and in real life, and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. At my school, it's not like the whole campus was segregated. People from these dorms interacted plenty with other students, it's just that they preferred to live with people with whom they had something in common.

The overall influence of a gay-friendly dorm, I think, depends a lot on the general climate of the campus. If most of the students are very hostile towards gays, then the dorm probably would end up being a safe refuge area, with little interaction with the rest of the students. That's unfortunate, but it's hard for me to think of a better alternative.

If, on the other hand, the school as a whole is somewhat more open-minded (i.e., little direct threat of harrassment or physical violence), then I think such a dorm could be a very positive influence. It's likely that most people in the dorm would have friends outside the dorm, and casual social interactions like that have the potential to do wonders for the overall level of understanding on campus.

------------------
Banana, pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, cherimoya, coconut, carambola, mango,
tango, mambo, limbo, samba, cha cha cha!

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a little bit more of a practical side to this too. People can be uncomfortable having a gay roommate, so signing up for the Gay-Friendly dorm would solve that issue right away.

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone know anything more about the program at UMass? my boyfriend goes there and he's never heard of it.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's "post in a forum where you never posted" day for gummy girl.

At UC Berkeley, we don't have a separate dorm building for our "theme" programs. this is for logistical reasons. we barely have enough dorm space to house the fall admit freshmen; we're definitely not oging to have enough dorm space to sort everybody out by race, major, orientation, etc...

But we do have theme housing. The GLBT theme has a floor. One of my friends used to live there. Other themes include the latino/chicano floor, african american floor, WISE (women in science and engineering), and the asian/pacific islanders floor.

I don't particularly object to these people's choice of living in a segregated floor. but i think it's just that: segregation. definitely not a choice to me. imho, to be better understood (and better understand), i would prefer to be exposed to a variety of people, not just ones with traits similar to mine.

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coming from a straight person:

I totally disagree with homosexuals getting their own dormrooms. Like bobo said, left-handed people dorm rooms! brown eyed-people dorm rooms, IBM user dorm rooms... that's dumb! Are they being made fun of or something? I don't know the whole story, but from what I read, that just sounds totally stupid. Bleh.

------------------
PLEASE go to Village People and go to my thread. Read Nov.29's post. help!

happy holidays!!

Don't Mess with Texas

"Only in America, where we can dream as big as we want to."
-Brooks and Dunn

Life is not fair, a fair is a place you show cows

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like some kind of ghetto to me.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.