Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » youth groups...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: youth groups...
ninaBruja
Neophyte
Member # 5622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninaBruja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can somebody tell me what they are and what you do in them, please? all i know is they're like clubs for GLBT teens.... or something....... someone explain this to me cos i'm really confused about them!!!

------------------
i was thinking that i might fly today
just to disprove all the things that you say

Posts: 27 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GLBT youth groups are a great way to make friends and discuss important issues. I used to go to a local queer youth group pretty regularly, but I feel that I've sorta grown out of it. Basically a bunch of GLBT youth get together and hang out. There is often a fascilitator of some sort (think RL advocate), and there is a topic. Topics are discussed, and sometimes you play fun games too. I highly reccomend going to one if you can. It will be easier to find if you live in a big city, but I know that there's a website somewhere that will help you locate a local group, I'll post the address later.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that motion. I used to go to a GBLT youth group and it was a really great step for me. I met so many great people and I could finally feel comforatble with my orientation. All my friends are supportive of me and I haven't recieved to much harrassment for being bisexual, but it's really nice to be in a place where everyone is going through or has gone through all you've been through.

At mine we did several things. Sometimes we would have guest speakers come and talk to us about a variety of things (like, how to start a GSA and queer youth rights). Other days we'd have a topic picked out and talk about that. Or, if someone had something in particular they wanted to talk about then they could do that also (one day I was very upset about my parents and we started talking about that which somehow led to pedophiles and a discussion on morality. That was a great day). And also you discuss upcoming pride things, so you get more involved in the community.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

I want you to be free don't worry about me

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.