Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Tell or not

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tell or not
miacra
Neophyte
Member # 3548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my boyfriend to inform his mom of my preference so she wouldn't misinterpret me being close with a girl. He wasn't too interested in this, because he thinks I'm too young to be thinking bout being bi. I disagree. Is it really not a good idea to tell his mom or is he just overreacting?
Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think asking someone else to discuss your sexual orienattion really isn't fair, nor is it appropriate.

If you want to discuss it with his mother, that's your responsibility, and you should do it, not him.

However, the larger question is if it is a good idea for anyone to be with a partner who refuses to accept or acknowledge a part of them.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're too young to be thinking about being bi, then he's too young to be thinking about being straight (if he is). Sexual orientation is about preferance, your age isn't important, and you may change your mind, but you may not.

But really, you should be the one to tell his mom if you feel that it's important for her to know that. Although a boyfriend who says you're too young to be who you are doesn't seem like the greatest person to be with.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miacra
Neophyte
Member # 3548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank's for helping me decide what I'm going to do. I sent my b/f's mom an email (give her time before she sees me next). I think I should also explain my b/f's behavior. He has told me he doesn't mind me being bisexual. While he did give the reason I'm too young the first time I talked to him about it, he told me later it really is because he was afraid she would overreact and prevent us from going out any longer. So that part is taken care of. Now I'm really nervous. I have those fears of possible trouble, as I explain in my diary at diaryland http://erythisis.diaryland.com
Now I would like to know if there is there anything I can say next time I see my b/f's mom to soften the surprise. Please send me some suggestions.

[This message has been edited by miacra (edited 06-12-2001).]

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me like you've gone out of your way to be honest and forthright, miacra.

That in and of itself should make it all as smooth as it's going to go (and that, in and of itself, is praiseworthy). Just be open to answering questions if she has them, and let her know you're happy to.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miacra
Neophyte
Member # 3548

Thanks for everything. My b/f's mom IMed me on AIM and told me she was glad I told and its all right.
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See? Most things like that we get more worked up in our heads about then they really should be. I'm glad everything turned out well for you guys

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

It's hard being a human being - Shirley Manson

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.