Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Some Straights Can Go Gay, Study Says

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some Straights Can Go Gay, Study Says
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely little parody at the SF Gate

quote:
Some Straights Can Go Gay, Study Says

Jen Dohr Bender, parody for SFGate Friday, May 18, 2001

Boston -- An explosive new study says some straight people can turn gay if they really want to.
Dr. Horace Queen, a psychiatrist at Boston's Mass Genital Hospital who led the study, said he cannot estimate what percentage of highly motivated straight people can change their sexual orientation.

But he said the research "shows some people can change from straight to gay, and we ought to acknowledge that." Queen defined "highly motivated straight people" as men and women who wanted to improve their wardrobes and have more frequent sex.

The issue has been hotly debated in the scientific community and among religious groups, some of which contend straights can become homosexual through prayer, counseling and shopping therapy.

Major mental health groups say nobody knows what causes a person's sexual orientation. Theories tracing heterosexuality to troubled family dynamics or faulty psychological development have been discredited, the Psychiatric Association says. The American Psychological Association says most scientists think sexual orientation probably comes from a complex interaction, including biological and environmental factors.

Queen conducted 45-minute telephone interviews with 200 people, 143 of them men, who claimed they had changed their orientation from heterosexual to gay. The average age of those interviewed was 43.

Most said they had used more than one strategy to change their orientation. About half said the most helpful step was work with a mental health professional. About a third cited a support group, and fewer mentioned such aids as books, the Holly Near box set and mentoring by a homosexual.

Queen concluded that 66 percent of the men and 44 percent of the women had arrived at what he called good homosexual functioning.

That term was defined as being in a sustained, loving homosexual relationship within the past year, getting enough satisfaction from the emotional relationship with their partner to rate at least 7 on a 10-point scale, having satisfying homosexual sex at least twice a day and never or rarely thinking of somebody of the opposite sex during the Gay Pride Parade.

In addition, 89 percent of men and 95 percent of women said they were bothered only slightly, or not at all, by unwanted heterosexual feelings, such as the desire to move to the suburbs and procreate. Only 11 percent of the men and 37 percent of the women reported a complete absence of heterosexual indicators, including opposite-sex attraction.

"This study proves that with the proper education and religious upbringing, straights can adopt a healthy gay lifestyle," commented Sen. J.C. Helms, the prominent male-to-female transsexual. "It's tough, but heterosexuality can be licked," she added.

------------------------------------------

Warning, dear reader. Ms. Bender was forced to write this after reading the recent article, "Some Gays Can Go Straight, Study Says". Aliens made her do it, really.

The only way to react to dumb, homophobic articles, I think!

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hallelujah!

I thought it was hilarious. But very true.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

If I run by the window real fast no-one will notice I'm naked.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's some fine entertainment!

------------------
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
( Tr. "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head." )

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always noted that if, as some people out there like to say, being gay is a sexual preference, then it seems to me that being heterosexual is a preference just the same.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. I had the pleasure of reading this stupid study whereby they interviewed a few men who had gone gay.

It was the most ridiculous thing I had ever read. And an utter waste of time. Not to mention fairly offensive for some reason or the other.

[This message has been edited by Lin (edited 06-01-2001).]

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.