Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » In the locker room, at school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In the locker room, at school
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a major ethical dilemma for me. The boy's locker rooms at school are basically heaven, but it feels really wrong to take advantage of society's heterosexism. It's the same thing on school trips: "No girls in the boy's rooms!" all the teachers say (assuming that everyone is straight), but they mean "No people attracted to guys in the boy's rooms!"

Perhaps it's just because I'm a teenage guy that I feel this way, but does anyone else have issues like this?

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 05-23-2001).]

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... good question.

In the girls locker room, I did feel kinda of bad (cuz there were some pretty hott girls in my class), but I did my best to not look. And I think whether I was gay or straight, I would have been careful not to look, just out of respect of privacy. But I never really thought of it, otherwise.

In the hockey locker room, though, that's a different story. Everyone was so close on our team that we could have all wandered around naked and no one would care. Wait ... that makes it sound like I gawked, didn't it? Meh. Well, I didn't, but it was just that the level of comfort is also a big issue (and a few people on my team knew of my gayness and that a teammate and I were going out).

[This message has been edited by DrQuack5 (edited 05-24-2001).]

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I was on the swim team at school so we changed a lot in front of each other. And when you're changing in and out of a swimsuit . . . you're pretty much getting naked. I didn't feel the need to look at anyone else because I don't see nudity as a particularly sexual thing in and of itself unless I'm already attracted to the person getting naked. I wasn't really attracted to anyone on the team, so it just worked out. There was another girl on the team who wasn't out who I recently found out is a lesbian. She graduated last year. She used to bop around the locker room buck naked and dance with this other girl and everything. It was sorta funny but made everyone a little uncomfortable, just because we weren't that close. It was never that big of a deal, but it's hard not to look at someone when they are dancing around and singing RENT songs naked, soaking wet, and splashing water everywhere.

At camp things are entirely different. I've been going to the same sleepaway camp for the past eight years. It's pretty much the same girls in my bunk every year. We get very very close. It's wonderful. We walk around naked all the time and no one cares. I came out four summers ago and another girl in the bunk came out two summers ago. 2 out of 10 . . . nice ratio. Everyone is completely cool with it. They talk about their boyfriends. We talk about our girlfriends. It's like a sexual orientation acceptance utopia. The other girl and I just try to not sexualize the nakedness. Sometimes it's impossible because I had a bit of a crush on her, but I didn't make it obvious or anything. It's pretty easy to just not look. And it's really the only respectful thing to do.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gaffer, i would just say sit back and enjoy, although don't be to obnoxious about it, just discretely enjoy the scenery.

------------------
"and these three, faith hope and love abide, and the greatest of these is love"

Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel. I used to think to myself "hee hee, little do they know...!!!" when I was with girls in hotel rooms, locker rooms, cabins, whatever. I went to a pretty open camp where probably half the population was not straight. Yet we had to sleep in separate cabins. I think this whole gender separatist attitude is pretty dumb....I'm all for co-ed bathrooms and such.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.