Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Gay Straight Alliance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay Straight Alliance
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my friend and I want to start a GSA at our high school. There is a fair amoutn of people that I know who would be interested in it (gay straight and everything in between), but I'm just wondering about what all of your experiences have been. I've already read a lot of information about it, and I think we'll be able to actually do it, but I'm wondering who else out there has started/is a part of/goes to a school that has a GSA? Do students actually care and go to meetings? Were your fliers defaced or torn down? Did you have a problem with the administrators to accept the GSA or finding a teacher to sponser it? Do you think it's had a positive, negative, or any effect at all at your school? Do you want to start one?

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! I'm a founding member of my school's GSA. My school is really conservative, so we announced a morning meeting that anyone interested in joining should talk to our facutly adviser or the president of the GSA to find out when and where the meetings are. Our little tack board hasn't been messed with. The head of the school and the upper school principal were both really supportive and we got the counselor to be the faculty advisor. The true blue founding students do attend every meeting and care very much about the success or failure of the alliance, and I'd say there are about three queer people (myself included) and six or seven straight people who are part of it. That's a lot of people for my school which is very small (sixty people in a grade)and very republican. It hasn't had an effect on the student population yet, but I think it's a big step and may lead to my coming out. MAY, not will. It's nice knowing as a gay student that people care enough to do this and that really does make a difference in how the school is perceived, at least to me.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to start a GSA at my old school. I totally got shut down. It was a private school, so they could just do that. They told me that it was against school policy to allow me to start the club.

At my new school that I've been going two for two years, there is a GSA. Oddly enough, when it was being started last year, no one told me about it. Which is really silly because I used to be part of this leadership group for people starting GSA's in their schools. Whatever. So then one day my school just had a GSA. They almost never have meetings. I think they've had two in the past year. They had one event, a queer movie night (But I'm a Cheerleader). I wish they were more active. I would love to be more active in the club, but unfortunately, the current leadership of the club just thinks that I'm not cool enough to hang out with them. Ick.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WonderGirl16
Neophyte
Member # 4331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonderGirl16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love it if there were a GSA at my school. its VERY small, but i know that i'm not the only gay/les/bi person at my school. but, unfortunately, the other people i know of are a group of.. shall i say.... skanks (they're bi, by the way)... and would be too good to join a GSA. plus, me being active in the formation of a GSA would conflict w/ my problem discussed in "Bisexuality and Basketball". so, alas, i'm screwed... and not in the good way
Posts: 19 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda86
Neophyte
Member # 5151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, can I ever see the ruckus i would cause if I started one of these groups at my Roman Catohlic strict old-fashioned school. They're good people but they all have an old-fashioned prejudice to anyone who isn't straight. There are no gays at my school that have came out, because they would be shunned, sadly. There may be some, though. I would love to start one of these programs but I would be shut down like PoetgirlNY said happened. Can I ever see that..sometimes I think I'm the only sensible, tolerant one in my school .

amanda

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PixieDust
Activist
Member # 4003

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PixieDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I am happy to say that about two weeks ago, the gblt center just asked who needed a gsa...and so I am officially a contact for it. YAY! Meaning I think things are starting to roll.
~Shandi

------------------
"We are the normal"-Johny Rznick

Posts: 86 | From: Las Vegas, NV, United States | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My school has an awesome GSA. We have trememndous support from the School District (enought support to foot the bills of out lunches. We get pizza and stuff for the meetings.) And we did some surveys of our school about "gay things in general". It was just questions like, 'have you ever heard these words used derogitively?' 'do you know and gblt students?' fun stuff like that.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.