Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » say my name

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: say my name
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started by a question in AAS I was wondering as to how Scarleteeners refer to their sexual orientation. Do you use formerly offensive or insulting words? How would you like your orientation to be referred to?
How come that neutral words like "lesbian" are still perceived by heterosexual folks as insulting?

I know it's just *words* and that definitions aren't really helpful because they usually just help others to put us into boxes and limit us, but still. - Humans simply seem to want terms and definitions all the bloody time.

So what's your take on this?

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call myself bisexual, but I don't mind dyke (being used in a non-offensive way).

I think that gay slang names are only derogatory because most people use them that way. What bothers me is there is practically no heterosexual slang. The only one I can think of is straight.

Winnie :0)

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a lesbian... That's how I identify myself and if my friends or family members wish to describe my sexual orientation, I hope they'll be respectful in the way they do so. One of my homosexual friends calls me "f*g" and "dyke" as a joke, but I'm not really comfortable with that. I told him how I felt, and he's stopped. I'd just like my sexuality to be respected by my friends and family. I don't find the word "lesbian" insulting, becasue that's how I usually refer to my sexual orientation. I try not to be stingy on what people call me, but some things I'm just not comfortable with.

I really hope that when people think of me, they think of a loving, caring, sensative person, becasue that's who I am. My being attracted to the same sex is only a portion of who I am.

------------------
Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes, because then you're a mile away, and you've got their shoes!

[This message has been edited by Mary (edited 03-31-2001).]

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I refer to myself as a "big fat faggy dyke" when I'm in a jolly mood. My friends get a kick out of it, and I don't mind people calling me dyke or using the term in a joking manner. When it is used as an insult however, I get very angry very quickly. And Winnie, there is at least one het slang word that is pretty offensive. I don't recommend using it. Very simply, "breeder". I don't know who originated it, or any of that, I just know it's in use.

------------------
"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." (Rebecca West)

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to call myself "free". If asked, I'll say, "Yes, I am gay/lesbian, call it what you will." But I prefer 'free' because maybe I'll end up with a guy. Who knows? And also because I don't like labels. They're so restricting and used to just categorize everything/one so it's easier to distinguish groups.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am comfortable with the term gay, and only when it's totally obvious you're joking the term f*g. Breeder, I've never heard that before. I wonder a)how that is offensive and b)how that came into use. I would say my sexuality is fluid, like one of those wave things, except it's mostly stuck tilted one way.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 04-01-2001).]

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I am a girl, I'd rather be called things usually reserved for male homosexuals. Think about it... gay, fairy, fruit... so much more fun than lesbian, dyke, etc. Those just sound too serious!

As for the other half of me (I'm bisexual), I'd hate to be called breeder or even straight. They both sound rather derogatory to me.

Gaffer, I find the term breeder offensive because it assumes that the only reason I might want to be romantically involved with a man is so I can have children. I'd like to think I'm a bit more complex than that.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call myself a "Mochaccino Slut-girl" because i think that just leaves everyone wondering
Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm bi... but at first I thought of myself as a lesbian because I had not had any sexual feelings for a boy before so I came out as a lesbian and I didn't/don't mind the word "dyke." Sometimes I would just say I was gay because I dislike the idea that a lot of people have that ONLY guys are gay .... if that makes sense... it just creates another division.

Now I just call myself bisexual, or I will tell my friends a story or something and say, "But that was back when I was a dyke," which will give us all a laugh. I hate labels, as going from "being a lesbian" to "being bisexual" really hurt me as a lot of my lesbian friends hated me for a while. But I use the term bisexual for myself if I am around people who are making the assumption that I'm straight.

As for the term BREEDER, it's a term used for heterosexuals and it's really meant in a negative way by lots of homosexuals I've come across. I.E. it's like, "I'm not as boring as a breeder," is synonymous with "I'm not a boring STRAIGHT PERSON" and sometimes it can be used with the same vehemence as "*** " or "dyke" can be used as an insult. I have never had any of my friends say it about me but I have heard them say it and have heard other people use it.... It's really quite an unnecessary and bigotted kind of thing to do, IMO, but I guess that's just because some day it might be me having that hurled at me...

------------------
rambler
Visit disabledsex.org -- Disability and Sexuality.
Or, find out how to join the teen discussion list
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
--Joe Ancis

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, oops, didn't mean to set off the censor there...

------------------
rambler
--Joe Ancis

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHEEeeeEEEPWHEEeeeEEEPWHEEeeeEEEP

(Kidding...happens to the best of us)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops, I thought you meant breeder was an insult to gay people. Now it makes more sense. I completely forgot fairy, that one I actually don't mind at all.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, fairy's so cute. I also like queer, and some silly out of date ones like poof. Heehee, so cute. And of course, who wouldn't want to be called a queen?
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Ooh, I forgot about queer. That is one that I use a lot. It used to bug me ("I'm not weird, I'm just not like you!" was basically my reasoning. I'm a recovering English major -- I take words literally sometimes.

Anyway after I recovered from that... I've realized what a cool little word "queer" is. 'Cause then, I'm not straight, but I don't have to necessarily piss people off by saying "I'm bi" and confronting all of the "are you a nympho?" stereotypes (and believe me, even if you don't think that way about bi people, most people do...don't get me started.)

Not that I try to hide it but it is just pretty easy to say "I'm queer" and let whoever I'm telling make their assumptions while we go onto the next topic (or they might ask me questions, which is okay, as long as it's not in an accusatory manner.)

By the way? If I'm repeating myself at all -- sorry -- I'm in a hurry and a little scatterbrained today!

------------------
rambler
--Joe Ancis

[This message has been edited by rambler (edited 04-09-2001).]

Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a polymorphously perverse overeducated nookie goddess, myself. I'm actually pretty comfortable with using "queer," since I think it does a good job of saying that I'm not straight without my having to give the long answer, which is "I'm a person who can be attracted to other people regardless of gender, including transgendered people, which is why 'bisexual' doesn't really fit me very well."

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FreeSpirit
Neophyte
Member # 3362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FreeSpirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sexuality is bi-sexual. I really didn't like the word queer at first but I got use to it. I try not to get angry over the least little comment. When I feel ofended I will tell the person I dont like you saying such a comment like that. Eventuallly they stop but it's as long as I feel comfortable about the comments. I will even laugh along with the people about it, it won't bother me. As long as I feel comfortable I'm happy. :}

------------------
~Free Spirit~

Posts: 1 | From: forestville,maryland,U.S. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Increasingly, I find myself uncomfortable using words like "homosexual", "bisexual" and "heterosexual", because they seem to push people into little absolute groups that don't really exist. I identify as straight, but that doesn't really mean that much to me anymore. Sure, I'm very rarely attracted sexually to women, and often to men, but that doesn't really make me that different to someone who is attracted to the same gender or both, so I get uncomfortable when talking about "homosexuals" as though it means a group that is somehow fundementally different.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like just plain bi. It's short, easy to say, and it sounds comfy. I also like "queer", though I don't use it, and I enjoy calling myself "the brainiac dyke", which was coined by a friend of mine in reference to me, and I love it (inaccurate though it may be).
Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sympathys_Sin
Activist
Member # 792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sympathys_Sin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
personally, i dont like being called queer or f*g or dyke, because i'm not gay, i'm bisexual. my other bisexual friends dont mind it at all. i'm going thru this stage where i must let everyone know there is a difference between being gay and being bisexual. my gay friends quite enjoy my little outbursts of bisexual pride hehe.

and one of my best friends is gay and she absolutely HATES the word lesbian. i mean hates it. i'm not allowed to use it. thats fine with me, i dont really see her being acurately described with the word "lesbian" anyway. it kinda leaves me feeling like she's a completely different person now that she's come out. "oooh shes a lesbian now". its not like that at all.

fairy IS cute, tho, everyone should use it. hehe.

Posts: 49 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.