Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Satirical look at pride parades

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Satirical look at pride parades
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Onion almost religiously. Usually, it's much quicker to criticize the religious right, than it is to criticize gays and lesbians. Knowing that, I wonder what y'all think of this article here.

I'm really not sure what to make of it. I mean, being a bisexual myself, I have to admit to having been at least a bit put off by some things that I've seen at pride parades in the past.

Don't misunderstand me, I think people should absolutely be free to express themselves - sexuality included. I just think that some responsibility and consideration is necessary for that expression to be a good thing.

I'd have to say that I sort of take the same view as Dan Savage on pride - that's to say I think being LGBT isn't something really to celebrate; it isn't good, it isn't bad... it just is.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 05-01-2001).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a grain of truth to all this. The old faith healer turned politician Pat Robertson has used footage from Gay Pride parades on his "Christian" Broadcasting Network to shock people. I should point out that the Toronto Pride Day committee has always taken an inclusive approach to the Pride Day celebrations. Unlike the U.S., the Boy Scouts of Canada marched in last years Pride Day parade.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-01-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but it's also woth noting that part (a very big part, probably) of the reason for that is that there's a gay scout troop in Toronto.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky ducks!

It's like in Rent: "I was a boyscout once, and a brownie 'til some brat got scared."

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 05-02-2001).]

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toronto also has a gay hockey league. I laughed when I read that. I also felt strangely happy. It just sounded so friendly.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.