Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Navigating Poly Grey Areas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Navigating Poly Grey Areas
Member # 108895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soft_masc         Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I are in a mostly exclusive relationship. We agreed on our boundaries for each other when we started dating: she is allowed to have protected sex outside our relationship, I am not. Since I'm personally monogamous but don't object to her having other sexual partners, this has worked out fine for us. A mutual friend of ours, who has had a sexual relationship with my girlfriend in the past, mentioned to her that she's interested in a threesome with us. I've harboured a minor crush on her for years, and I'm interested in this possibility, even though I'd still call myself monogamous.
While discussing this with my girlfriend, she seemed interested in the idea but expressed concern about managing the situation: that is, she knows that both of us sometimes have difficulty expressing sexual desires and she doesn't want the leadership role to fall to her because she doesn't think she'd enjoy it. We agreed that this concern is something we could potentially work out, and she encouraged to me meet up with our friend and discuss it. The thing is, she wants me to do the first conversation with her alone. I don't know how I feel about having this conversation without my girlfriend present because I'm worried I will misrepresent her views.
My girlfriend is every non-chalant about the situation, whereas I'm a little more nervous. Should I request that she attends for the sake of my comfort or just go for it and save the group conversation for after I've got a more solid idea of what I want from this?

Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's start here: what do you want to do? Not what does she want, but what do you want?

And if the only issue is a concern about misrepresenting your girlfriend's views, does simply not speaking for or about her in any way in this conversation take care of that concern for you or not?

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.