Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Witness to abusive same sex relationship

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Witness to abusive same sex relationship
Brassgirl
Activist
Member # 38659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brassgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not, but it's something I'm struggling with at the moment, and I hope you guys can give me some insight.

I'm very close friends with a same-sex couple (they're both women). I'm good friends with both partners. Their relationship has been on the unhealthy side for a while - one partner is consistently cheating, the other is super clingy and controlling.

It all came to a head last night - my friend (the clingy one) called me in a panic and told me that her girlfriend (the cheating one) had flipped out, hit her, grabbed her by the neck, and tried to throw her down the stairs before leaving the house screaming.

According to my friend, this isn't the first time she's been hit, and their relationship has been physically/emotionally abusive for two years.

My friend has decided the relationship is over, and is seeking counseling. My question is, what the heck do I say to my friend who is apparently an abuser? I just, don't know what I should do. Do I write her off? Do I just stay out of it? I'm just not sure how I should handle it since I am good friends with both parties.

Thanks for your help :-)

Posts: 41 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey brassgirl,

Wow that relationship sounds bad. I'm glad to hear that it's over and no-one is at risk of being thrown down stairs any more! I imagine it really helped that your friend has had you to talk to about the relationship. You must be someone she felt she could trust and I'm so happy she had you.

Now, with the other partner, I'd agree that her behaviour sounds very abusive. Regarding what to say to her, whether to continue your friendship with her I think that's a difficult question to answer for you. What is for sure is that understandably you feel very different about her than you did before.

Just like sexual relationships, friendships, I feel, are relationships too where consent, enthusiasm and enjoyment should all be present.

So I don't feel like you have have any responsibility to continue this friendship if you no longer feel comfortable with it.

You might feel like you can, and want to, support them while they address and seek help with their aggression, then that too is something else which is completely up to you if it's something you want to offer.

Or perhaps simply keeping a distance will be the only thing you really feel comfortable with.

I could say I've had people in my life that I've found out to be abusive and I haven't really felt comfortable with dealing with them one way or another and have simply kept my distance since, we might be on friendly terms but I'm not interested in spending significant time together.

What would you prefer to do, as it sounds like you're feeling a good deal of pressure?

[ 05-05-2013, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brassgirl
Activist
Member # 38659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brassgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - thanks so much for the reply!

So I've had a chance now to talk to both parties. Boy, it's a mess of a situation. There are two sides to every story, and there certainly are two sides to this one as well.

It sounds to me like the abuse was mutual. Though the one partner got physical, their relationship is/was very unhealthy, with both partners contributing roughly evenly. Nothing will ever excuse Partner A becoming physical with Partner B, but Partner B has been very controlling - to an extreme level. (Partner B would often not let partner A go anywhere alone, not even to school. Now that they've split, partner B has been telling Partner A's teachers that she's mentally unstable).

They are both my friends, and I would like them both to be happy and healthy. At this point, I would really kind of like to take a step back from both of them- I've just gone through some major relationship turmoil myself. How do I take a step back without it seeming like I've turned my back?

Posts: 41 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that does sound like a really unpleasant and mutually unhealthy situation. Certainly it sounds like both partners have been engaging in abusive behavior.

I think you're totally ok in stepping back from either or both friendships for a while. It's up to you how to handle that, whether you want to say something directly or just fade out contact. If these are people you interact with mostly through school, I assume your summer break is coming up soon, and that could be a pretty natural way to take some space from both of them.

I think Jacob makes a good point about potentially supporting your friends in finding resources to deal with their abusive behavior, if that feels like something you are willing and able to do, but that doesn't have to go hand-in-hand with continuing your earlier pattern of friendship.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brassgirl
Activist
Member # 38659

I have helped one of them (B) find resources. The other (A) was very defensive about that, and thought I was trying to get them to go to therapy together. I wasn't- it's none of my business what they decide to do. I just want them both to be happy/healthy, which is what I said to them both.

Partner B came over today to talk and asked if she could keep her cash/valuables in my apartment. I said no. Tomorrow is the last day all three of us will be in school together. Hopefully everything will be fine, and I think I will let things cool off over the summer.

It's just really stressful the way they throw me in the middle - but I guess that's a hallmark of unhealthy patterns that they both follow. Thanks for listening and for your advice! I really appreciate it, and I hope it all blows over/partner B stops leaning on me so hard.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay. Glad to hear you were able to set boundaries with partner B like that. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brassgirl
Activist
Member # 38659

Thanks. She clearly has boundary issues, which I think might be one of the roots of her and A's problems (not that I'm blaming any one person - not my intent - it takes two to tango).

It's just rough because when B talked to A, she made it sound like I had tried to get A committed, or told a bunch of people that I had called A crazy. (Totally not what happened. I helped B google crisis centers and counselors for herself because she asked me to). Fortunately, A called me and was like "What the hell?!" and listened to me when I told her what actually happened.

Maybe they are both playing me, but honestly, I want no part until they get themselves under control. I feel bad that I was pretty distant with B yesterday, but it's a self preservation thing.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it can be really good to keep that self-preservation instinct active when dealing with difficult or drama-instigating people, even if they're folks you care about. Yay for setting and enforcing boundaries. =)
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.