Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » That...was awesome (first-ever GSA)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: That...was awesome (first-ever GSA)
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am brand-new to college and got to attend my very first GSA meeting ever.
It was brilliant.
(This is my first chance to work through my feelings, actually, so if I get rambly, that's why. And there's a good chance I'll be teary-eyed by the time I post this, because I get emotional over anything, including happy stuff).
It's just...I always feel so out of it. I have met literally four LGBT people face to face that I knew were LGBT at the time. My mom's ex-husband and a boy from my writing camp were gay. One of the teachers at that camp was a lesbian, though I only found out after camp had ended. And my best friend is a lesbian. That's it.
Suddenly, I'm sitting in a room with about 20-30 other people, most of whom at least have an idea of what I'm going through. People are joking around and one boy mentioned falling in love over the summer and there was a group "awwwwww". There was a chinese lesbian couple there and I know this because when naming the highlight of their summer, one said it was taking their girlfriend to China to meet her family, the other said going to China with her girlfriend to meet her family. It was very sweet and it's just so...wow. Everyone is just so comfortable and it's incredibly strange because I've never been somewhere like that.

In general summary though-
I had a wonderful time. I laughed and 'awww'-ed and knitted during the entire thing because when I'm nervous my body sends huge amounts of adrenaline into the system, because my body is an idiot who can't tell terrified nervous from meeting a whole bunch of new people in a new place, but happy about it nervous. I can react by twitching, jumping up and running out of the room, or fidgeting with knitting stuff. The first is strange, I'd regret the second, so I went with the third. I talked to one girl who had a Harry Potter shirt on (yay, fandoms! Always something to talk about). I felt normal. It was great.
And because my school is ridiculous and has a rivalry with another large college in the state, and *they* have a Coming-Out Week event instead of the day that we have...
The leaders of the GSA are currently planning Coming-Out MONTH.
Who knew? Sports rivalries affect everyone. I felt it would be rude to giggle. I'm really gonna have to learn how to care about sports.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yayyy!! So happy for you! This sounds so exciting!

And... oh my goodness other LGBT people! [Smile] Awesome.

Also, very cool that you have a good way of managing your body's responses [Smile]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a wonderful first meeting [Smile]
I'm glad you got to make some connections!

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.