Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Great Article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great Article
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this article on my facebook news feed and would like to share with everyone [Smile]

http://www.glaad.org/blog/celebrate-bisexuality-glaad-dispels-common-myths-and-stereotypes

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is actually wuite wonderful! I get so sick and tired of the stereotypes and dismissals and bi-invisibility that come with the orientation, so it was nice to see those myths be dispelled by GLAAD.

Thanks Alergnon! [Smile]

Posts: 272 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crathes
Activist
Member # 108814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crathes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's been a while, but I just found this, and I want to say thank you. Not only is the article great, but it's also wonderful that you reached out with it to share it with others. [Smile]
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crathes
Activist
Member # 108814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crathes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] Aaaaand the only comment on the post is one that ends "I stopped being involved in gay and lesbian rights when L&G became LGBT" (because apparently bi men only want sex from other men and nothing more).

I have read a lot of comments from gay and lesbian people along those lines. It hurts so much because on the one hand, you have straight society and people you know saying all these negative things. And it doesn't matter if you're gay or bi because having those feelings at all is just "immoral" or "unnatural" or whatever; at least as I see it, homophobia doesn't go, "Wait, you like the opposite sex too? Never mind. You're fine."

So, naturally, you turn to the gay community... and guess what you get.

Where do we have left to turn?

I got really excited one time when I found a book about bisexuals in a bookstore, but the whole thing focused on nonmonogamy and implied that being bisexual is the same as being polyamorous. Now I don't mean to disparage people who are not monogamous, but it's just that monogamy is what I personally prefer, so then I felt even more weird and alone - I wasn't even like the few people in the world that I thought I was like!

Does anyone feel what I am talking about??

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.