Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » How to start first relationship

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to start first relationship
mentaldude95
Neophyte
Member # 96021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mentaldude95     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't even know where to start I tried going to my GSA at my school to at least meet people but it was made up of 1 other gay guy and 10+ straight girls and he has been dating someone now for 2 years. I feel pretty pathetic posting this but does anyone have any ideas on my next move?
Posts: 1 | From: Fishers, IN | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralee
Peer Ambassador
Member # 43628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coralee         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi mentaldude95 and welcome to Scarleteen! I don't have any good dating advice, but I do think that a GSA is not necessarily the best place to meet potential dates. Your GSA is (hopefully) a good place to find support, not necessarily a place to start romantic or sexual relationships.
Posts: 143 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I do agree with Coralee - a GSA would be a great place fore support and making new friends; but dating someone or liking someone within that group might complicate things. My former roommate went to a GLBTQ club at our university; and though she didn't meet anyone there to date, she did make some new friends and it was something fun for her to do; as well as a great support for her. Pehaps you could continue to go to the group as a ways of connecting to a support framework; and go from there? I'm sure there will be people coming in randomly at different times, so you might get to know different people too!

As far as your next move, maybe you could just do some research on where that club goes for social occasions. Do they go to any restaurants, clubs, or coffee pubs? Those are some venues where you could maybe meet people with similar interests.

What other clubs do they have at your school? Maybe you could join some other social activities or volunteer within your community so you could expand your social network and meet potential friends or partners. Try not to think of yourself in a negative way like that - I don't like using the term "pathetic" for anything; and you searching for ways to meet people is certainly not that! [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.