Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Accept Me!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Accept Me!
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often times it can be difficult talking with family members and friends about orientation and identity. It's always difficult dealing with times when it seems people we care so much about and accept as they are just aren't as willing to accept us for who we are.

Sometimes I just want to scream "ACCEPT ME" and walk away. Here's your chance to say everything you can't or may not be ready to say to someone(s) in particular about how you feel when they're not accepting of you.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avi.
Neophyte
Member # 95775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avi.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I like that, but I would never wear it" has to be greeted with something other than "that makes no sense!" to be acceptance. Sometimes it's frustrating that you're okay with the whole spectrum in everyone who isn't your child. I understand you're scared for what this will make my life like. I wish you would have faith in my ability to handle what comes to me. I wish you shared my faith that the world has changed, and is changing more, that maybe we will both see a day when history books have a section for the persecution of LGBTQ's, and children solemnly read of our spokespeople as heroes. But my froggie boxers are grown-up panties now, and I can wait until I have something to point to.
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are afraid that my life will be made more "difficult" and "complicated" due to my attraction to women, and you believe that, as a result, it will be best for me to never be in a relationship with a woman. I do not agree with you. I also dislike the fact that you pity me. I do not need to be pitied, like I can't "help" my attraction to both men and women and therefore must spend the rest of my life in constant internal conflict and unresolved heartache.

The world can become a more accepting place. You can contribute to acceptance by letting go of your misconceptions about queer folk. I've never told you how much it pains me inside when you pretend that I've never come out to you as bisexual. I hate it when you speak to me as if I'm your "normal" child who is, by default, heterosexual. I'm not sure if, deep down, you are ashamed of my sexuality even as you tell me that you love me just the way I am.

I am proud of the way I am and do not wish to be any other way. I wish that you are truly proud of me too.

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having two close friends who are homosexual, I really wish that things could be easier when people are coming out; or when they are wanting acceptance from parents and friends. I am a Christian, but that sure doesn't mean that I am against people loving one another; and I am not against homosexuality or bisexuality. You should be free to express who you are without judegment from others. It makes me really upset to read these posts and to know that there are people out there who are hurting like this.

I'm not sure if this will help; but one of my best friends came out to his family three years ago. At first, his parents (who are very conservative) were very upset by this. But, in time, they began to realize that that was who he was and what he wanted; and they are now doing very well. He brings boyfriends home and they like them very much. It took time, but they soon accepted what he told them. His brother was very accepting right off the bat; so I'm sure that must have helped.

Try and spend time with those who you know understand who you are and how you are feeling; and take comfort in them when you are feeling upset. The community here is really supportive; so I am sure that if you ever need to talk, many people here will listen! [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.