Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Accidental outting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Accidental outting?
WildRice
Neophyte
Member # 45445

Icon 5 posted      Profile for WildRice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would I be outting someone by saying the following or a version of the following "my friend is gay, queer, trans, etc." to a group of strangers?

I ask this because I received a little zine from a presenter on transpeople after talking with him at a conference. And I had in fact said something similar in an attempt to find more information... But they zine said "don't say this in attempt to sound cool, hip or progressive". Neither of which I was trying to be but there is a possibility it could have been disrespectful or boundary crossing but I honestly don't really know. And would like to know so I don't do it again in the future.

Posts: 38 | From: Northwest Coast | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you explain this a little more? Are you talking about naming one of your friends and explaining their sexual orientation or gender identity to a group of strangers? What would be your reasoning to do this?

If your friend is generally 'out' to family/friends/public, it may be ok to discuss their orientation and gender with others to help illustrate a point or make social connections. But for safety, I would usually ask the friend if they were ok with me doing this. I have found that some people are understandably very sensitive around these issues, even when they appear to be quite 'out and proud' in some situations.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildRice
Neophyte
Member # 45445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildRice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well, I didn't name my friend. They haven't come out so I would never say their name or gender or any other identifying quality about them beside their feelings. What I had said a few times before when seeking more information on how to help them out, know what resources are available, and how to support them, was "I have a friend who recently came out. They feel they want to transition but I don't know what they are going through and I would like to know how to support them in every way possible."

The zine wasn't very clear if that was or was not acceptable to say. So I thought I'd see what they Scarleteen boards had to say.

Posts: 38 | From: Northwest Coast | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, that sounds very reasonable and like you are being supportive to a friend, which is great. I don't think you are outting anyone as you haven't given identifying details.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.