Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » LGBT+ Young People and Social Services

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LGBT+ Young People and Social Services
JenBug24
Activist
Member # 53839

Icon 4 posted      Profile for JenBug24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen!

I'm interested.... What have been your experiences with Social Services? Were they considerate of your sexual/gender orientation? Did they help you? Did you come out when they first got involved with you or later? How did they react? What do you label yourself as? Anything you'd like to share, whether positive or negative would be really helpful.

I myself have had some pretty bad experiences with Social Services as a young lesbian, and I want to hear your stories. If there are any messages you have for social services about your situation, or about how they can make the system and support better for LGBT+ youth, please share, and I will forward it on to them in a services review meeting that they will be holding on the morning of 2nd Nov (GMT).

(btw I'm now 16, and take this to Social as a YP in their conference where they discuss how to better their service. I am in the UK and deal only with those SS, but would still live to hear experiences from all, wherever you are. How do different countries support LGBT+ youth??)

Thank you in advance for your stories.

Jen [Smile]

--------------------
-x- JenBug24 -x-

Posts: 45 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm someone in the UK, cisgender and bisexual. I mentioned my sexuality while having a full psychological assessment taking, as way of explaining why things were slightly tense at secondary school (same-sex school, coming out as liking girls, sliiightly awkward.)

I found I was more nervous saying it than her reception of that warranted - her only real reaction was "Wow, that [coming out] was quite brave of you."

That said, this is my first and only experience with social services, so I can only really speak about this one experience with this one person rather than anything more fully.

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenBug24
Activist
Member # 53839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenBug24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, thanks for your reply. [Smile]

I just wanted to ask, did they just leave it at commenting on your coming out? Or did they do something more, like ... I don't know ... gearing their response to be specifically inclusive to that part of you or anything? (I've not worded that very well, but hopefully you understand what I mean?)

--------------------
-x- JenBug24 -x-

Posts: 45 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't really come up after that. I think I get what you mean, but outside of that direct context where I made the comment, it wasn't relevant. I did notice that she didn't include it in the actual write-up that was forwarded to me/my doctor/my mother, but it would've been peculiar if it was, really.
Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.