Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » 13 year age gap?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 13 year age gap?!
SelenaDaniels
Neophyte
Member # 74740

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SelenaDaniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im 16. Do you see anything wrong with a 13 year age gap?! My boyfriend is 29. I love him lots [Smile]

--------------------
S

Posts: 7 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkatbits
Neophyte
Member # 45431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkatbits     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Selena,

There can be a few things to consider.

1) Age of *sexual* consent: This is the age at which you can legally consent to sex. If you have sex under that age, your boyfriend can get in a lot of legal trouble as per the law if he gets reported.
2) Level of experience and maturity

Does that help? Also remember in the LGBT community, it is more proportionately affected by established population statistics (e.g. in your case, that the population is aging).
This post may also help you out: Age-disparate basics (Does age matter?)

Edit: added link
Edit 2: minor word addition

[ 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: kitkatbits ]

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberbydreams
Neophyte
Member # 78235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberbydreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a long distance relation ship (we met on the internet, never met in real life yet) with five years' difference, I haven't seen much conflict with my girlfriend and I yet.

A lot of it has to do with maturity (and when it comes to sex, legal issues), if you are very mature for your age and responsible and he is similarily mature and responsible, I don't see a problem.

In 10 years, it wouldn't be much of a problem at all, however, in teen years you have to be very careful, because people grow so much so quickly. One common problem with high age difference couples is again, sex. With the amount of experience the older member might have, things could move faster than the younger member expected, and consent start breaking away with that. Be very clear with boundaries, with good communication almost any relationship can work as far as I know!

Posts: 11 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.