Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » New Arts School...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Arts School...
amberbydreams
Neophyte
Member # 78235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberbydreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to a new school, well, tomorrow, an Arts High School for Juniors and Seniors only. I will be living in it's dorms during the week and home on weekend. That being said, the dorms are not like college dorms, they are well monitored and all the people are well taken care of and it is very neat an clean, not co-ed and no pushing beds together, no sex possibility whatsoever.
Which is impressive considering 50% of the school population is GLBT.
And that's where my problem is. I've know I'm lesbian for a while, but I haven't had a chance to be around other lesbians (to my knowledge) or to flirt around yet.. and I know there will be plenty of lesbians in this school (both my sisters went there and gave me pretty accurate accounts of the amount of gay there)
So uh..... How do I tell for sure if a girl is bi/lesiban, and how do I handle actually having a dating pool I guess is my question.

Posts: 11 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds really exciting for you! Also, obviously, it's making you a bit nervous, too, but it sounds like a great opportunity. (I went to an arts high school for my last two years as well, also a school where loads of us were queer, so I might be biased, but it was amazing for me.)

So, how do you know what someone's sexual orientation is? Well, unless they're wearing a t-shirt where it's written right on there or they tell you, you don't. There aren't any "tells" like these about people's orientations.

But it's not like it isn't okay to get to know people and, if you develop a romantic or sexual interest in them, to ask then out. There are a million reasons people might or might not be interested in us, and our gender is only one of those. Getting used to people saying no -- for whatever reason -- is just a part of getting used to dating and interrelating. Sometimes people will say no, and sometimes that might be because they're straight: but in a safe space like this, that shouldn't be any big whoop.

When you ask about how to handle actually having a dating pool (neat, huh? [Smile] ), what are the things you're concerned about or feel unprepared for?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.