Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Dating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dating
wordnerd25
Neophyte
Member # 58644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wordnerd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm a college student, a cisgendered woman, and I guess I'm sort of bicurious? I'm mostly attracted to men, but I do have some interest in women, too. At some point, I am interested in possibly dating/having sex with a woman to see if it's something I'd want to do...but I really don't want to make anyone a victim of my experimentation. How do you explore your sexuality without hurting another person?
Posts: 29 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it can help to remember that when someone is new to being sexual with someone else, they're exploring their sexuality no matter what their orientation is. In fact, we're really kind of doing it our whole lives, because it's not like it's something that ever stops growing and changing, or where we suddenly know all there is to know about it. You know?

Mind, just like I'd hope you'd realize that a relationship or sex with one man couldn't tell you how you feel about all men, the same is true with women. If you do sate/get sexual with one woman, all that's likely going to tell you is how you feel about your own self and sexuality at the time, and how you feel about that one woman, not all women. One relationship can't tell us if we will or will not want another with other people, ultimately.

Anyway, the same "rules" apply here as they do otherwise around dating in ways that are caring and kind. We're talking basic humane treatment of people, basic respect and courtesy. Being forthright about where you are and what you want is another biggie. So, for instance if where you are right now is in a space where you have some romantic/sexual interest in women, but are just starting to ask questions about it and feel that out, and want to try dating women but it's something you're just starting to try and feel out, then you can tell the other person just that. That way, they get to decide if that's something they're comfortable with or not.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.