Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » GLBTQ Community Vs. Dating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GLBTQ Community Vs. Dating
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd start some conversation here around the differences and the need for community.

A lot of the time, it can feel like what you need to have to have some queer community is a sexual and/or romantic partner, even though that isn't often all we need, and also often won't cover all we need as queer people. It can also be easy to think that if we have a partner, we won't feel a need for queer friends or community anymore, even though that's also rarely so.

Have any of you dealt with that at all? Found it harder or easier to find friends and queer family, as it were, versus romantic and/or sexual partners? Made the rookie mistake so many of us do in seeking out partners when what you really needed and wanted was community?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that when you have a partner, the need for queer community and friends is almost greater than when you're single. When I dated a girl while neither of us were very out or had many/any queer friends, it was pretty stressful..like, who are you supposed to talk to when it's going wrong? What if your straight friends don't quite understand? It makes you more vulnerable.

I think finding partners and finding friends/family are both hard. For me, it often involves really getting out of my comfort zone, going to events by myself, introducing myself to (very nice) strangers. Once you meet a few people, it's definitely easier to meet others through them though. I feel that once I have more of a community, I'll make a calmer,happier, more secure partner for someone. Well, that's what I hope, anyway.

[ 01-22-2011, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, don't know if this is exactly addressing the question, but I've had trouble finding/having that community thing. As someone who gets read as female, and who currently has a male partner, I have felt very unwelcome in LGBT spaces (though I am primarily attracted to female- or genderqueer-identifying people). I have experienced biphobia in those spaces anyway, even when I had no partner, but I feel that I simply can't have that community when I have a male partner, which makes me pretty sad, because it's something I'd love to have.

Just to be clear, I don't mean that I go to LGBT spaces/events with my partner, just that if I do go I don't feel I can mention having a male partner, or that it's easier just to stay away from LGBT things altogether so I don't have to justify myself or prove that I'm queer enough to be there.

[ 01-22-2011, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: treetops ]

Posts: 158 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I live so much inside my own head, I find that internet message boards like this one answer my need for a queer community very well; better, indeed, than real-life people, because I am so intensely shy and find expressing myself on the Internet far easier than doing so in person. Then again, I could hardly be in a queer community when I have never come remotely close to so much as holding hands, let alone having a partner. Anyway, pretty much all the people I have loved and wanted to be around have been straight, except for a gay friend in high school. Perhaps I just fit in better with open-minded straight people in real life. But I realise I must be atypical in this. [Smile]
Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouwaLyn
Neophyte
Member # 61037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouwaLyn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think that when you have a partner, the need for queer community and friends is almost greater than when you're single.
I agree. I have alot of straight friends who accept me but I don't feel as comfortable talking to them about my relationship because most of them dont understand so i feel as if i need a community or more queer friends. When your single you still have a need for queer friends but not as strong as when you are with a partner. [Smile]
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleylynn
Neophyte
Member # 47356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleylynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I would have to agree with eryn_smiles. It seems that whenever I'm romantically or sexually interested in someone, I find myself needing someone to talk to--which can be a problem in high school, esp. when all your friends are straight [Smile] . The few opportunities I have had to talk to GLBT individuals about my desires have been awesome. It's like, because they share a similar background, they can give opinions and advice 1000 times faster than I can get my straight friends to; its like I have to put the gist of what I'm feeling through iron mesh so that they can relate. I'd almost liken it to talking to someone who has taken a course from the same teacher as you: you can immediately share impressions of the teacher without explaining the mental processes that go into forming an opinion of the teacher, and you feel free to celebrate your common understanding and experiences. I'd almost argue that one might need community at time independently of relationship status, but who you are and in what stage of life you are at (some are worse than others).
Posts: 25 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.