Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » It Gets Better

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It Gets Better
tigerlily18
Neophyte
Member # 42252

Icon 14 posted      Profile for tigerlily18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,
I'm a big fan of Dan Savage (blogger/gay rights activist) and just found out about his new It Gets Better project. It's a YouTube project where LGBTQ people post videos about how while their high school and middle school experiences suck, there is life after all that.

This comes right after the suicide of Billy Lucas, a high schooler that was repeatedly harassed because his classmates thought that he was gay. Dan Savage and his boyfriend posted an amazing video about their lives, and their adopted son, in order to show kids and teens that there is something to live for, that the harassment and prejudice of high school will end, and that people can get out.

I think that this is an incredibly important project, and wanted to share with all of you, and hopefully you can share with any friends or family that you choose. Just go to YouTube and search for "it gets better project" or follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/itgetsbetterproject

(if it'll work) and there'll be a bunch of links to different videos that people have posted.
Feel free to share your thoughts on the videos!

--------------------
"Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

Posts: 6 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, tigerlily, thanks for adding this to the boards! Yesterday we circulated it on both our Twitter and Facebook, but hadn't put it up on the boards yet. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just watching President Obama's video for the It Gets Better project. Wow, I am really proud of him for what he said and for getting involved [Smile] .

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teaching in a fourth/fifth split class now, and I see a lot of these same bullying behaviors both in my class as well as in the other classes in my building. The other teachers and I are constantly doing everything we can to help the students understand just what this kind of bullying can mean. I'm so excited to see that I can use something like this as a teachable moment tool too. Thanks for posting this [Smile] .

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smthng56
Activist
Member # 46344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smthng56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched few videos from this project and its quite inspiring.. all those people are so different, just proves again how stereotypes can be wrong. I noticed too that politicians got in their "supporting" clips.. but i bet they just using this project to promote themselves...and it gives me a bad feeling.
Posts: 73 | From: Russia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, while I really like the It Gets Better project for a lot of reasons, there's a part of it I really, really hate. Like all of these videos are to help young people deal with the abuse and bullying. Help them just hold out and take it and keep strong. Which are all good. Sort of.

Because at the same time, it's like it's saying that the only thing these kids can do is just sit there and take it and try not to let it destroy them. And I think that's incredibly fucked up! 'Yes these horrible people are being horrible to you and saying horrible things and doing horrible things, and the best thing you can do is just deal with it.' Just grin and bear it.

Alright, so the It Gets Better Project. It's basically saying to passively TAKE the shit that these kids have to deal with just for being themselves. For having their own identity and just living their lives, they get picked on for it. And all they can do is just take it? Try and hold out for a better tomorrow?

I think that's the biggest load of bull shit ever.

This is NOT what we should be telling LGBTQ youth. There shouldn't be a project saying DEAL WITH THE PAIN. There should be a project that TAKES AWAY THE PAIN. There should be a Stop Homophobia Project or a Stand Up Project. There needs to be action that takes the power away from kids that can hurt others for being themselves, a project that wont LET the bullying happen in the first place, not one that's ACKNOWLEDGING IT, and ACCEPTING it. There should be a project that tells gay kids to FIGHT BACK, not TAKE IT. STAND UP! These kids shouldn't be told to just quietly deal with this stuff, they should be told to STAND UP TO IT. And before that, there should be some laws going around, some school rules, some concerned parents and teachers taking actions to stop the bullying before it happens in the FIRST PLACE.

Do you guys see what I'm talking about here? Tell me I'm not crazy.

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smthng56
Activist
Member # 46344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smthng56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you mean, Natalie. I guess some things (like society minds) should be changed slow and careful. Probably fighting back could cause just worser situation in societies that are not ready for appreciation of untraditional sexuality.. of course, im talking about local one, but i hardly believe that things are quite lot better in other countries. And i bet that there are lot of organizations like "stop homophobia" and such that are doing this kind of work. Anyway, i like what u saying but i think its quite idealistic for the moment.
Posts: 73 | From: Russia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigerlily18
Neophyte
Member # 42252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigerlily18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There absolutely need to be more rules in place in schools. Unfortunately, many school administrators don't see this bullying as a problem. They think that bullying is just a part of the school experience.

As for fighting back, we can't tell these kids to literally fight back. Violence might stop things in a short-term capacity, it will only come back to make things worse.

The It Gets Better Project isn't about accepting the abuse, the bullying, or the torture. It's about having something to look forward to. People are working to change school policy on this bullying, but until we can get everything changed, these teens need something to keep them alive.

If having these videos posted on the Internet stops just one person from committing suicide and keeps them focused on making their life better, then it's done its job.

--------------------
"Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

Posts: 6 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kids in school "thought" billy was gay? define "thought he was gay" just so i can understand a little better b/c i'm wondering if you mean that they thought he was but he wasn't.

--------------------
~Stephanie Gabriella Murray
I'm very gay for being a lesbian, and not gay to be what I'm not

Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ste-Funnie - if you do a google search of his name it pulls up a lot of articles about Billy. From Fox 59 WXIN Indianapolis
quote:
The 15-year-old never told anyone he was gay but students at Greensburg High School thought he was and so they picked on him.

[ 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh i get it! they had gaydar and assumed it! oh i get ya!

--------------------
~Stephanie Gabriella Murray
I'm very gay for being a lesbian, and not gay to be what I'm not

Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.