Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Is there such thing as being "too young" to go to Pride Week?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there such thing as being "too young" to go to Pride Week?
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my friend are 16 and want to go to Pride together this year in Toronto.

I'm not oblivious to the blunt sexuality surrounding the events of course, but I was wondering if it is safe for us to go and if you have advice or anything.

If anyone knows thank you [Smile]

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, my memory of high school is that there was "blunt sexuality" all over the place. [Smile]

Really, Pride is a very safe place to be. I would not consider it a sexual environment, when it all comes down to it, but a community gathering, and one that's large and public, like any other kind of parade.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You make a good point! I guess I've just heard rumours about there being a lot of nudity and people doing things in the back of their cars and such and was wondering about that.. :/ lol thanks though!

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I have seen just as much of, if not more, nudity on television on on billboards on buses. Heck, there's more on any public beach.

I've been to a lot of Prides, and I have never seen people having sex in their cars: any cars at pride at all are usually driving floats. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trumpet Master
Neophyte
Member # 47863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trumpet Master     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I saw this topic and I just had to post this. I recently went to whashington DC with my school for 4 days as a summer feild trip and it happens that we were gong during gay pride week. I so wish that I could have just dumped my school group and went to the parade!!! It looked so fun and the only thing I could do to show my pride was to write "PRIDE" on my hands and wear a rainbow necklace.... *Sigh* But I didn't see any thing bad just like Heather said. The worst thing I saw was a couple of men in hot pants and not much else walking down the sidewalk and one was on a leash.... Yeah that mentally scared me... LOL jk!!! I envy you for being able to go to a gay pride thing!!!!

--------------------
I say you love who you love. Lust over who you lust over. And are happy with who you are happy with. Everything inbetween doesn't matter!!!

Posts: 29 | From: United States of America | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Zor-El
Activist
Member # 14499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Zor-El     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyou's mutt:
But I didn't see any thing bad just like Heather said. The worst thing I saw was a couple of men in hot pants and not much else walking down the sidewalk and one was on a leash....

Yeah, I see that almost everyday walking through Chelsea! [Razz]

But I'm wondering, Stephanie...did you ultimately decide to go? I've heard wonderful things about Toronto's Pride...I'd love to hear your impressions [Smile]

--------------------
"If you're going through Hell, keep going..."
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 123 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emilbee
Neophyte
Member # 48737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emilbee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend and I had wanted to go to our city's Pride Parade this year (I would not have had very high expectations, however, as the entire city is kind of sketchy and it has no known LGBT groups or the like... makes getting into the local LGBT community pretty difficult!), but as it turns out, not only was she working that day, I was also in another province. [Frown]

I hope to go next year (which will be hard, considering I'm working in another province next year), or if I can, go to one of the larger cities' Pride Parade once I'm out of high school.

Posts: 23 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.