Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Discrimination in school.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discrimination in school.
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 3 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to start a thread where users could share their stories and perspectives on their school and GLBTs. For instance, are you out, is it hard to be out, do you get discriminated against?

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My own experience is actually that I faced more harassment BEFORE I came out than I did afterwards.

Back in jr. high and the year and change I was in public high school in the early-to-mid eighties, I got called a dyke and other epithets before I ever disclosed publicly I wasn't heterosexual, and even before I was ever seen with a same-sex partner in a way that made it obvious we were together. That was based solely on how I dressed, cut my hair, on who my friends were, on my opinions and ideas, on my being one of the kids who focused mostly on the arts, on who I would NOT date (eg: if you won't date a certain guy, you must be a lesbian, right?) and the simple fact that I was a misfit in many respects. Maybe some of it came from people's internal radar, but I honestly doubt it. I had straight friends who were just as harassed and in the same way.

Of course, once I was seen with girlfriends, it continued, but I wouldn't say it got worse: my experience is that it was the same, only I felt stronger in handling it once I began to come out. I felt more empowered when I was no longer trying to keep myself a secret.

When I did really openly come out, at that point I was in a small arts high school inner-city, and we had as many students who were queer, really, as we did who were straight (same went for our faculty). I never dealt with any harassment or discrimination there that I can recall. That would have been very, very not-okay at our school, and this was well before GSAs and other queer-friendly school initiatives.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be so fantastic to have a school where just as many there were straight as those who were queer. That is my ideal.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obi
Activist
Member # 39222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was still in high school I went to a school that literally had just opened. My girlfriend (E.) at the time were the first openly gay couple in the school (to the point that only reason the principal knew who I was was because I was dating E.) Actually, although the teachers made a big deal out of E. and I giving each other a quick hug (and blatantly ignoring the straight couple all but making out in the corner), the teachers seemed to completely ingore/forget E. and I were dating even on overnight trips for band and such.

There were a few rude comments over the years, but for the most part if there was negativity it was never to my face or where it got back to me. I did feel bad for the other pair of girls I knew were dating. They actually drew more negative comments, probably because they were sneaking around and trying to hide it as one of the girls likely would have been disowned if her parents had found out from what they told me.

Posts: 46 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vshanti
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 43159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vshanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I identified as heterosexual (or "confused") in high school. I was part of the school's GSA, but it was a small group, and we didn't organize very much. I only went to a few meetings. I remember feeling shy and worried about being perceived as a lesbian, even though I considered myself an ally. I think being around my openly gay classmates made me feel a bit uncomfortable because I was trying to come to terms with my own sexual orientation, and I just wasn't sure how to identify. They seemed to really know where they fit, and I just wasn't sure.

After I graduated from high school, a pretty remarkable thing happened. I fell in love (or in lust?) with a girl and came out as queer. then, many, many people in my circle of friends came out of the closet too! It seemed like my "heterosexual" friend circle became queer, almost overnight, because once high school was over everyone felt a lot more comfortable being themselves. It felt really good to not be the only queer person in my circle of friends.

I have a lot of respect for those who are "out" in high school. For me, I didn't feel comfortable enough with myself to fully realize my queerness until after I graduated and had some space. Now that I'm in university, I've forged a pretty queer and/or queer-ally friend group, and the atmosphere is much more open.

--------------------
Vanessa

I believe in the radical possibilities of pleasure, babe...
I do, I do, I do.

Posts: 140 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.