Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » GLBT Relationships and TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GLBT Relationships and TV
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled across an article today that I found really interesting. It stated that over the past few years, every year has brought an increase in TV characters that are G/L/B/T. One point that was emphasized was that the stations are continually trying to add characters from different backgrounds and walks of life. The number of movies representing some of the real life difficult issues faced by the community are also being shown now as a means to raise awareness.

• How do you feel about the increase in characters, shows, and movies?
  • Do you feel some shows are more accurate representations than others - or have a favorite?
  • What types of changes would you like to see happening in the future?
  • If you could pass a message on to any of the producers of these shows, what do you wish you could say to them?

[ 07-04-2009, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice topic!

I'd like to see more G/L/B/T characters on t.v. who aren't written to fit into certain tropes. It seems like a lot of the G/L/B/T characters either go through "Realize you're queer, come to terms with it, and then have your character written off the show" (Grey's Anatomy), "realize you're lesbian, have a baby, and then have your character written off the show" (E.R.), or "flaming for the entertainment of straight people"/bolstering stereotypes (i.e. Will & Grace, Ugly Betty, and Seasons 3-7 of the L-Word). I'd really like for producers to make more shows like Torchwood where characters' queerness is just a fact-of-life, or at least like Crumbs where (coming out about) queerness is just one issue among many dealt with by 3-dimensional characters.

[ 07-05-2009, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: NonStraightAnswers ]

Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* I absolutely LOVE Torchwood, and that is one of the reasons why. (The show that it's a spin-off from, Dr. Who, also does a very good job making GLBT matter-of-fact, but I think some of this is that they're both British shows.)

I would like to add to the list of halfway-decent American GLBT characters, though; Dr. Hadley, from House, doesn't quite fit any trope that I know. There's an episode or so where she seems to be veering into the "troubled girl who sleeps with girls" stereotype, but since then, she's actually become much more rounded, IMO. (I'd also like to point out that while they did write out one of the lesbian characters from Grey's Anatomy, there are several others with normal, rounded lives remaining... including one who's going through a very real and normal coming-out to her family right now, that is nonetheless being represented as just one part of her life.)

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but when it comes to Grey's Anatomy I stopped believing in the producer's interest in writing decent G/L/B/T characters after the whole, "I need a man to show me how to perform oral sex on a woman, and because I'm bi. it's not *really* cheating to have intercourse with him without having discussed either subject with my (thinks-we're-monogamous) girlfriend!" thing. They then kept on the queer character who they'd written in that seriously problematic way and wrote off the one who felt much more genuine to me, and that's the point at which I stopped watching. I just felt like they only had queer characters for the titillation of straight audiences (and had no problem propagating bi. stereotypes in the process) rather than because some people are queer so some characters should be, too.

I don't watch House but had heard about the "troubled girl who sleeps with girls" thing. I'm glad to hear that they seem to have moved away from that more recently!

Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlegirllost
Neophyte
Member # 40973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlegirllost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like Anyone But Me, which you watch online

--------------------
live and let live,
littlegirllost

Posts: 14 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
overkill-max
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 43158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for overkill-max     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, I think it is great that the characters are increasing and when more and more shows start getting comfortable with gay characters, just like with visible minorities, they will become more than just a sweeps weeks stunt. I think that as they start exploring these characters they will be more comfortable writing them in a more well rounded perspective. Even then they will tend to dramatize and exagerate because it's tv and it is meant to entretain first and foremost.

As for shows, I think that foreign shows are more progressive than their american counterparts. There's: Skins, Los Hombres de Paco, Sugar Rush and a couple of other shows (which have lesbian characters because those stories interest me more since I am a lesbian) that have gay characters that aren't treated differently just because they're gay.

And I don't know I'd like to see more girls liking girls and being treated in funny, realistic, awkward, cute and just all the different ways that heterosexual couples are treated.

Posts: 28 | From: Mexico | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.