Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » how do I tell her?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do I tell her?
fallchild
Activist
Member # 28780

Icon 11 posted      Profile for fallchild         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so last night I went on a first date with a really great girl that I met a couple days ago. We hit it off REALLY well [Smile] And it was my first date where we were both openly gay, were openly interested in each other, and there was a total lack of guessing games so I actually really enjoyed myself.

Thing is, I don't know how well it's going to go with this girl, but I'm sorta terrified to tell her I've never had a girlfriend before. I also don't know how to tell her that my best friend is also my ex-fiance and that we will hang out from time to time. I don't know how to tell her that I cope with anxiety, bipolar disorder, self injury, drug use, and alcoholism. Basically I feel like I came across as this cool person in the first date but she'll slowly start to find out that I'm a bit of a mess. Arghhhh.

But pretty much the biggest thing I'm scared about is the fact I've never done anything other than kissing with a girl. I'm not scared to DO things with a girl, I'm just embarrassed about telling her I haven't done anything. How do I talk to her about this stuff without freaking her out, looking like a total idiot, and not feeling embarassed? Well, too late about the embarassment part. Anyway, it's just feeling overwhelming. Can you help me sort this out?

--------------------
"It's better to die on your feet than live down on your knees"

Posts: 117 | From: SLC, UT | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I think if she really likes you, she'll see past all the "complications." Of course, I don't say sit down and give her a run-down of everything wrong with your life, but rather play a game of 'this and that', so to speak. Ask her if she wants to play a game, then start off by saying something about yourself- then she returns. It's a great, fun way of getting things off of your chest and getting to know each other. And remember, no one is perfect. She has flaws, too.. And honesty and communication are a MUST in any healthy relationship. As for being "inexperienced", I don't think she'll really care. Who knows, maybe she is, too, and if not, she was at some point and time, right? Relax and be yourself. You said it yourself, it felt nice.

[ 02-09-2009, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Typical Young and Dumb Teenager? ]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basically I feel like I came across as this cool person in the first date but she'll slowly start to find out that I'm a bit of a mess. Arghhhh.
Personally, I've never met anyone who wasn't a mess. I think as people get to know each other revealing one's complexity is just par for the course.

quote:
How do I talk to her about this stuff without freaking her out, looking like a total idiot, and not feeling embarassed?
I don't think any of the things you're talking about are freaky, stupid or embarrassing. They are personal, and I think it's fine to disclose them as you want to and feel it's the appropriate thing to do.

I'm a big fan of talking about being uncomfortable and starting sentences like, "I feel anxious telling you this, but I want you to know...". That tends to diffuse a lot of the embarrassment factor for me, and helps me talk about challenging topics.

I think this Sexpert article talks about the fears around first-time sex really well: Managing Vulnerability & Sexual Insecurity

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I've never met anyone who wasn't a mess.
Personally, I am not really comfortable with people calling other people who are dealing with issues or have been dealing with issues a mess even if that includes everyone (because pretty much everyone is dealing with their own issues). I also do not agree with you saying that our complexities make us a mess. Let's just try to keep the atmosphere positive here maybe, okay ? Thanks !

Even if we're all having our own issues and that some people might be loaded with more issues than others, I don't think this makes anyone a mess.

Some of the issues that we might have can contribute posivitely to give you an example to make us a stronger person so therefore I don't think it's really accurate to say that it has made someone a mess because it helped them grow as a person, made them stronger, teached them something and that is positive. It's not necessarily all negative, there can be some positives out of every issue we have to deal with throughout the course of our life and I just think that it would be best to focus on those rather than on the negatives.

[ 02-11-2009, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you, cool. I agree. I didn't mean "mess" or "complex" in a negative way at all. I was using it in a more neutral, celebratory, "we're all in this crazy, terrible world together, struggling, growing" sort of way. I wish people's "issues" were more generally seen as normal, positive things too.

--------------------

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I really appreciate you making that clear as it could be interpreted otherwise by some people. [Smile]

[ 02-11-2009, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallchild
Activist
Member # 28780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallchild         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you VERY much bluejumprope; that article you linked really helped me feel better. I also had a good talk with another queer friend of mine yesterday because she went through the exact same thing when she was dating her first girlfriend.

So when the timing is right, I'm just going to tell her that I've never been sexual with a girl and that I'll need her to be supportive and patient, that I'm going to need some time before we do certain sexual activities, and that safer sex is really important to me. I've been in enough abusive and manipulative relationships where none of those things were respected and I never want to go through that again.

I just keep telling myself that if she isn't okay with any of those boundaries then she's not worth me dating [Smile]

--------------------
"It's better to die on your feet than live down on your knees"

Posts: 117 | From: SLC, UT | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

That sounds freaking awesome, fallchild [Smile]

Good luck.

--------------------

CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fallchild, YES! It can be so hard to put your needs and limits out there, but I think you're spot on: if the person you're interested in can't respect and support those vulnerabilities, needs, desires, and limits, then they are not worth your time and energy.

I hope it does not come to that, for you, but it's kind of an awesome realization to make for yourself, no?

Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.