Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Finding other lesbians in my area?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finding other lesbians in my area?
kristintaylor
Neophyte
Member # 39023

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kristintaylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this has already been discussed, but I tried searching and didn't find anything, I guess I used the wrong search terms?

Anyway, I'm 15 yrs old, but I don't go to school (independent study due to some anxiety problems with traditional schooling) so, I don't know where to meet other girls, I would like to have a girlfriend, but have NO clue where to look. I was really struggling with who I am, but now that I no longer feel bad about myself, I'm ready to start meeting other people, but would like to do it in a way where maybe I'm not putting myself out there as much (like at an LGBT youth group?)

I also was curious if GSA meetings are only for the students of that high school or if others are welcome

--------------------
Vote for Equality, Vote No on Prop 8.

I'm volunteering with the campaign, join in at http://noonprop8.com

Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi kristin,

I think you'll probably be welcome to attend your local high school's GSA, best way to find out is contact the person who runs it and have a chat. The first time I went to something like this, I emailed the guy who ran it first.

If you give us an idea of whereabouts you live, we can check if there are any other groups in your area :)

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kristintaylor
Neophyte
Member # 39023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kristintaylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll try that, thanks. =)
I live near Pasadena, CA.

--------------------

Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Ok, I found this:
GAY & LESBIAN YOUTH TALK LINE 818-508-1802
North Hollywood, CA 91601

They should be able to give you an idea of what's available where you live.

You might also like to check out this group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PasadenaPFLAGYouthGroup/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kristintaylor
Neophyte
Member # 39023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kristintaylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much! Teens are really so lucky to have all of you dedicated volunteers. =)

--------------------

kristintaylor
Neophyte
Member # 39023

By the way, I found a GSA near me at a youth center and they're having a conference this Saturday that I'm going to, I'm so excited! The person I talked to on the phone was really nice and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks again for all your help.

--------------------

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Good on you Kristin [Smile] Hope it all goes well for you, let us know what happens.

--------------------

Audre Lorde

kristintaylor
Neophyte
Member # 39023

Well, I went and it was awesome! I met some really nice people (nothing romantic) but had a great time and all of the advisors were really cool too, it was a really fun day and I never would've had the courage to go if it weren't for everything here on Scarleteen, thanks so much!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.