Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Frustrated

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frustrated
Ergonautics
Neophyte
Member # 40812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ergonautics     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been frustrated for a very long time now. My school, no, my entire town, must be one of the straightest places on the face of the planet. Out of almost 900+ students, I know of only two gays, and two lesbians. All of the aforementioned have partners outside of town. As for bisexuals like myself? I haven't been able to find a single one. Maybe they're all too nervous to come out and say it, but that just makes them even harder to find.

So okay, I'm bi. There should be some guys available, right? Well there's the problem. Any guy I find even mildly attractive is taken, and the rest seem to composed of the stereotypical jerks who scream obscenities from the back of the bus. Not exactly my thing.

As for the girls, well, let's just say I'm of the minority who refuses to buy a pair of Uggs. A good half of them croon after everything High School Musical (how actual high school students like this thing is beyond me) and are more concerned with the newest Hollywood scandal than anything that holds any sort of meaning.
So then there's me. Completely single. Never been on a date. Never been asked out. Never heard any rumors about so and so liking me.
Absolutely nothing.

I know I'm not the only one, but at times I get so frustrated and lonely that I'm considering tearing my hair out. Not seriously of course, but you catch my drift.

For instance, I just found out two days ago that one of my friends got into a relationship, and another just had a guy ask her out. I call up another friend to hang out to help drown out my miseries, only to find out she's spending the weekend at her boyfriend's house.

They all say I'm lucky, but I'm not feeling that way. Spending all my hours at home, since I don't have a car, has gotten really old.

And going back to what I said before, as for a gay community? What gay community? There is none. It's incredibly shallow, I know, but for once, just once I'd like to have, or be, a special someone. Because right now, my life seems so very empty.

It's frustrating.

If you did, thanks for taking the time to read this.

--------------------
"Well, I'm sorry to say, but it seems your fish has drowned..."

Posts: 3 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quasi-funny part is that pretty much everyone feels like an outcast or like they don't fit in in high school, even those who, from a given perspective, look like they do.

But for sure, those of us who are queer are almost always going to be in the minority anywhere we go. That's just how it is. And in some areas, it's going to be a pretty big minority. Obviously, that is reallyisolating and frustrating, but the good news is that you don't have to choose to live where you are all of your life: this gets to be temporary if you want it to be.

Sometimes it can help to try and find social circles outside of school: is there a GLBT youth group in your area? What about volunteering for a cause that's meaningful for you to meet people outside school?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergonautics
Neophyte
Member # 40812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ergonautics     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, there is no GLBT group anywhere here, and as for volunteering, well I never really thought about it. Yeah, I guess I'll look around and try to give that a shot. Thanks.

--------------------
"Well, I'm sorry to say, but it seems your fish has drowned..."

Posts: 3 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ara5
Neophyte
Member # 40951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ara5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think about it like this: You might be one of the only girls who feels comfortable enough to date other girls at your school. As for the guys, I'm sure there are some nice ones who aren't taken. And even if they are, just wait until you get to college, whether community or a Uni or whatever, by then, everyone is way more comfortable with who they are, and are much more open. There are always LGBT groups in college, look into those even now. And socialize outside of school of course. A job or volunteer work is great with that, especially when it involves interacting with people your age. We all want someone special, and we all want to be special to someone, but that doesn't mean it has to be NOW. You have so much time ahead for that.
Posts: 4 | From: AZ | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.