Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Places to be

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Places to be
tearsandlove
Neophyte
Member # 31265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tearsandlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I was wondering where in general were safe (and private) places to be with a partner of the same sex. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas?
(We are both in high school, and she is not out)

Posts: 19 | From: Here | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends where you live, but in many cities there are a number of bars / restaurants which are queer friendly. Here, in the UK there's often a rainbow flag hanging outside queer friendly spaces.

It'd be a really good idea to find out about local Queer organisations, is there a GSA at your school? There are generally a queer networks in many cities/countries with regular meetings and who have information on where to go and to still feel safe.

Other than that, it'll unfortunately be up to you to decide whether or not you're safe. It's a good idea to look out for other same-sex couples and see where they go. Is your area generally hostile to homosexuality? Listen out for homophobic comments, which should also help out spotting places not to go.

Also, is it immediately obvious that you two are a couple? You needn't hide it, but if it's not immediately evident - ie if you don't really kiss in public - you may not have to worry about people's reactions if they don't even know.

You should be allowed to go where you want being who you want to be but your safety is even more important. If you do feel at risk or get threatened, it's generally important to report it to the management of wherever you are, or if it's really bad, the police.

[ 10-26-2008, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: PenguinBoy ]

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tearsandlove
Neophyte
Member # 31265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tearsandlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, the deal is that we live in a generally very accepting community, but it is small enough that seeing people who know you is a regular occurrence and due to valid reasons, my girlfriend is unable to be out to our school community. We are also not old enough to go to bars (both in high school).
Posts: 19 | From: Here | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asking about just being out and about together, or are you asking about places to be sexual or physically affectionate?

I ask that because, honestly, there is so much heterosexism in the world that if you're just two girls out and about, most people are going to assume you're just friends. Often, that can be very irritating, but if you and she, or just she, want stealth, it's something you can use to your benefit.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.