Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » possibly the 2 most annoying questions EVER...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: possibly the 2 most annoying questions EVER...
aubergine dreams
Neophyte
Member # 27597

Icon 8 posted      Profile for aubergine dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get picked at constantly. For little things I guess. It honestly doesn't bother me though. Like...I 'm comfortable with myself and I love me, ha. There are just 2 questions that as a lesbian, really get under my skin.

"oh my gaaaash, how do the two of you have sex?!?"
In my opinion, that question is pretty dang ignorant. If I wanted to tell you the story of my sex life, believe me I would. My answer never fails though. It's quite immature and ignorant in itself but two can play...
"we scissor...duh."

or perhaps...

"which one of you is the boy?"

whyyy is that such a concern? The whole femme, dyke status. I don't get it.

Anybody else get urked by these questions, or something along the lines...

Posts: 11 | From: virginia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, butch/femme isn't really about girl/boy for women who DO do butch/femme. It's more complex than that, and certainly is not about, in the ideal, replicating heteronormative or gendernormative dynamics.

But hetero people, or more accurately, hetero people who have very rigid ideas about gender roles, have a tough time sometimes seeing things outside of those roles. And that's not just a problem because of seme-sex coupling: even in opposite sex couples, that's often problematic because given a choice, we can safely say most people won't want to have to be limited to rigid gender roles.

As far as the first question, it can be helpful just to say, "the same way anyone else does." Vaginal intercourse alone isn't the only sex for ANYONE, and most for women of any stripe, it's hardly the best sex for them, or if they only had to choose ONE sexual activity they could do, would it be the likely one a majority of women would choose.

When we have sex with women, there really is nothing we can't do that anyone else can. Even vaginal intercourse, if and when we want it among women, is easily accomplished per how it feels, genitally and overall, with strap-on play, with hands, or yep, by scissoring.

I think I've often been less irked by those questions simply because even in high school, I was the sort of resident sex educator. Most people know little about any kind of sex, and most people aren't sexually educated that well, especially in an inclusive way, so it can be a bit easier to be patient with ignorance when you bear in mind that it's often not the fault of the person who is ignorant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plain milyeh
Activist
Member # 32511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain milyeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh god. the "how do girls do it with other girls?" question just makes me giggle. do people seriously have so little imagination that they can't figure that one out on their own?

incidently, have you heard of/read any comics by erika moen? just 'cause she happens to address these kinds of questions a bunch in her work, and she's my hero: http://projectkooky.com/erika/

Posts: 108 | From: caaaaanada. ('cause we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks...) | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey Plain: we love Erika too, and the best part is, she loves Scarleteen! [Smile] )

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.