Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Confusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confusion
redwirebluewire
Neophyte
Member # 23932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redwirebluewire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I'm a seventeen year-old high school senior, ready to graduate and attend a women's liberal arts college in the fall. Despite all I have to look forward to, my primary concern right now is the very confusing issue of my sexual orientation. I dated girls exclusively during my freshman year of high school, including one long-term relationship. I was depressed for a few months after the latter ended, and I began dating guys afterward. It was more socially acceptable, but out of the three guys I have dated, I have only been really attracted (physically) to one.
At this point, I'm far more physically attracted to girls, but far more emotionally attracted to guys. I am out to close friends about liking girls, but part of me really doesn't want to be a lesbian, especially because it would mean choosing physical fulfillment over emotional. I also have, at the least, a really strong emotional/intellectual attachment to a close guy friend who thinks I just like girls. I just don't know what to do....I feel like such a flake/loser/etc.

------------------
"He wanted to meet in the
real world the unsubstantial
image which his soul so
constantly beheld. He did
not know where to seek it or
how, but a preminition
which led him on told him
that this image would,
without any overt act of his,
encounter him. " James
Joyce (A Portrait of the
Artist as a Young Man)

[This message has been edited by redwirebluewire (edited 06-14-2005).]

Posts: 2 | From: NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AskST is intended for short questions with shorter answers. your issue deservs a lengthier discussion. I'll move it to GLBT relationships so you can benefit from lots of people's input.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redwirebluewire
Neophyte
Member # 23932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redwirebluewire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else ever felt physically attracted mostly to one sex and emotionally attracted mostly to another? I'd feel better knowing I'm not alone in this.
Posts: 2 | From: NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and extremes in various kinds of attraction are all the more common in phases of big sexual development, namely, adolescence and young adulthood.

And with sexual orientation, both aspects (emotional/physical) are essentially on two different Kinsey scales for most people, varying vastly in both sets of two directions for everyone.

In other words, chances are that there will not be THAT big a divide in your later adult life like you're feeling now: you're still really young. And chances are, you will not have to choose between having relationships where you're only getting one thing or another, that divide will likely narrow a lot depending on whatever particular person you are with who DOES hit both sets of needs for you.

You're neither a loser nor a flake.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very emotionally attracted to girls and have fallen completely in l-o-v-e with a couple over the course of my life so far. However, I'm quite physically attracted to guys as well. For me things balance out and I'd say I'm attracted to guys and girls equally, only in different ways. I like having my options open. It's a lot of fun for me to, say, watch a movie and be attracted to both the male and female lead.

You don't need to rush to label yourself. And you are NOT a flake or a loser. Recognise that sexuality is fluid and have fun with it. But remember to always take safety precautions!

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.