Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Island in a sea of sharks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Island in a sea of sharks
imchopin
Neophyte
Member # 7592

Icon 3 posted      Profile for imchopin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I'm probably the most fortunate person I know. I'm fourteen, I have a fairly liberal father and a hippie mother, a screwy family (including my three year old niece), and I'm gay. Oh--and I'm a guy. (I'm not Singaporean though; my dad is in on one of those expat deals.) Anyway, the point is, almost every person in my school seems to think I'm gay simply because of the way I act. Its not like I'm a queen or anything, its just how I am, you know? The reason I'm so "fortunate" is because I never really have to deal with any of those people--yay! My friends, consisting mostly of girls (another give-away) all like me for I who I am; they see me as sweet, funny, smart, whatever, and they don't care whether I'm gay or not. They like me for me, and if I came out to them they would still like me for me. (I hope.) Is this great or what?

------------------
--imchopin
"I'd walk a million miles for one of your schmiles, my ma-a-ammy!"

Posts: 4 | From: Texas (barf), USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's pretty cool. we should all be so lucky.

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<nodnod>

Y'know, this is an excellent reminder of the fact that being different in any way -- be it sexual orientation, or anything else -- doesn't automatically mean that you'll be doomed to live a life of misery and loneliness.

I'mincredibly lucky in that most of the people in my life accept me as I am, and a lot of them even value the very things that make me "socially unacceptable." It didn't happen overnight, though -- it took realizing first that there's nothing wrong with being myself, and then seeking out people who didn't try to change me into something I'm not. I did lose a few "friends" along the way -- but in all honesty, how much of a friendship can you have with someone who won't accept you? Not much, usually.

I live a life that would be considered quite strange by many people. I am openly queer, I am poly, I am married to a transsexual, I have very eclectic religious beliefs, I study sexual behavior and do sex education... the list goes on. Sure, I get some funny looks and some rude comments sometimes, but I'm happy with my life. And that's what's really important to me.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tasha
Activist
Member # 6784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kythryne:
<nodnod>

Y'know, this is an excellent reminder of the fact that being different in any way -- be it sexual orientation, or anything else -- doesn't automatically mean that you'll be doomed to live a life of misery and loneliness. <snip>
Sure, I get some funny looks and some rude comments sometimes, but I'm happy with my life. And that's what's really important to me.

Oh, you put that so well, kythryne!
What fun is it to go through life without getting funny looks, anyway?

------------------
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

share your opinion: http://www.geocities.com/tkaterisha/

Posts: 68 | From: Brooklyn, NY (Ev,IL right now tho) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ice_magick
Neophyte
Member # 7369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ice_magick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a lesbian with 'cool-about-it' parents, incl. an openly gay father. I'm also out to one very close friend my age. So I would guess I'm lucky. But I'm sooo afraid of coming OUT out. yeah I want to do it, but eeee! People at my school already hate me for the color of my skin and my pacifist ideals and my haircut and the people I hang with, blah blah blah. I think I'd get mobbed, slammed, jumped on or lockered (all various forms of student to student violence in school jargon, all happenned to me at least once b4) But then, it felt so good coming out to JC, such a relief...I wonder...
Posts: 34 | From: Baltimore,MD,21214 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty pryde
Neophyte
Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty pryde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kythryne:
Y'know, this is an excellent reminder of the fact that being different in any way -- be it sexual orientation, or anything else -- doesn't automatically mean that you'll be doomed to live a life of misery and loneliness.

This is a great thing to keep in mind. Sometimes there's cause for caution, but never just *assume* that people will hate you for being different, before you get to know them - then you're being just as prejudiced as the people you're afraid of! I know I missed out on getting to know some cool people because of doing that, and I've learned my lesson.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherryLips
Neophyte
Member # 7972

Icon 14 posted      Profile for CherryLips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is so cool that you are gay and proud of it. I think I'm bi-sexual but people I know wouldn't react well. My real friends would be fine with it, but that's only like 4 people out of everyone I know! I have always been popular and guys have loved me so.... I'm just confused. People at my school are such gossip hags, and I am insecure so I don't have the courage to come out - yet! I will later though.... you've kinda inspired me.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those really fortunate people, too.

While my parents weren't exactly thrilled about my being gay, it's one of those things that pretty much goes, "Deal with it." So now it's all good with them.

My friends are the best of all, though. I'm really open with everyone and, (I love this one) one of my best friends came out as gay a few months ago.

Usually, it's a non-issue with my friends, unless of course, we're talking about how cute some girl is. And the fact that most of my friends are pretty bi to some extent.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm out to everyone but my family, and i think a few of my cousins are suspicious. it's pretty liberating to finally be open with my friends about who i like, and now me and the guys (and a few of the girls) can girl-hunt at the mall too. :-D

well, not so much now cos i'm dating someone... but ya know... it's nice.

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.