Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » sexual orientation -a choice? Round two.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sexual orientation -a choice? Round two.
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New thread because the other one was getting too long.

What do you think? Is our orientation a choice, or does something else have control over it? Is it decided before or after birth?

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
limpducky
Neophyte
Member # 17774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for limpducky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont think anyone will ever know because homosexuals cant know for sure if its a choice or not because they aren't straight, and straight people can't know for sure it is a choice because they arn't gay.
Posts: 19 | From: Iowa United States | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onmypathtodestiny
Neophyte
Member # 17693

Icon 7 posted      Profile for onmypathtodestiny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't beleive our orientation is a choice at all. However, I still question whether or not someone can be born gay. The only thing I truly believe is a choice is being bisexual.
Posts: 31 | From: Silver Spring, MD | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly understanding why you'd class bisexuality differently from heterosexuality or homosexuality in regard to this topic.

Or why it appears you're saying you don't think one can be "born gay," but the implication is that one can be "born" straight?

On what are you basing those ideas?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onmypathtodestiny
Neophyte
Member # 17693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onmypathtodestiny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can forget everything I said. You are the sexpert, and you know way more than I do. I apologize if I offended anyone.
Posts: 31 | From: Silver Spring, MD | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faeryprinces
Activist
Member # 12405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faeryprinces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think sexual orientation is chosen. I mean, I didnt *choose* to be "straight", it is just who I happen to be attracted to in a romantic and sexual way. I dont think gay/lesbian/bisexuality is choice either...it just all comes down to who you're attracted to. So you're attracted to one or the other, or both..whats the big deal?

I've learned in many biology/psychology classes in college that sexual orientation definately has some sort of connection to balance of hormones in ones brain/body throughout development and when we're born. So, yeah, I guess I believe that you're born with your orientation...I think it's just tougher to figure out and handle later on through adolescence because being "straight" is society's "norm".

Posts: 227 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Umm, I was asking those questions to further discussion and to get you to examine perhaps why you think the way you do and share it.

No one can really be an expert on things which are, at the very least partially, based on wide-ranging theory and personal experience and opinion.

And I'm not psychic, so I can't know way more than you do about you.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.