Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » ER!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ER!
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you watch ER, you probably know that Carrie (a mainly heterosexual doctor) is in an on-and-off-relationship with a woman (mainly homosexual) working at the hospital. The woman (I forget her name... I'll call her Susan) is a psychiatrist, and she and Carrie became good friends. After Susan confessed being attracted to Carrie and a bit of confusion, Carrie decided that she would like to try a relationship. It's been slowly unfolding in the show over about two months.

I was very psyched when they showed another lesbian couple on tv and how it's about love and not just sex. I don't know why, but a lot of people seem to think that homosexuals are just perverted people who want sex all the time. Another thing I thought was great about it is that Carrie is disabled (some tend to think that people with disabilities are simply asexual), but they show her in a relationship. The woman who plays Carrie on ER, Laura Innes, was on the Today show this morning talking about role. It was great . What do you guys think about it?

------------------
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love this storyline! It's probably been my favorite storyline of the season. It's so nice to see a positive portrayal of a gay relationship on TV, and I'm impressed that the people who make the show were willing to do a storyline about it. What's even better is that there hasn't been much of a negative reaction to this; the response from fans has been so positive, in fact, that the actress playing the psychiatrist was signed on for more episodes than was originally planned.

Oh, and the name of the psychiatrist is Kim. Susan was a character on the show a number of seasons ago.

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh oh, I absolutely adore the relationship forming between Willow and (OMG, I forgot her name. Is it Tara? Someone help me out here!) someone. That other girl.

Alaska? Help Help.

Anyway, I think they've got a really great relationship going. And while no one really says out loud "hey, we are in a relationship!" I think it sees pretty obvious to all the viewers. It's a sweet, beautiful and very very positive relationship. Although would be nice to see them do more than sit on each other's beds. But maybe there is no need to show a very obvious physical relationship. Maybe they just connect on a totally different level. I don't know. Hopefully the next season will have more answers.

And so far, I have heard nothing but praise for this new development. Much better than a werewolf definitely.

And I definitely think it's Tara.

--edited because it is Tara. Just saw Alaska's post in P&P. *phew*

------------------
Want More Lin?

[This message has been edited by Lin (edited 05-10-2001).]

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like TV storylines that show lesbian relationships. While we don't have that ER season yet, I am definitely looking forward to it.
I agree with you, Mary, on the sex thing (i.e. nice to see a real relationship, not a "lesbian making a hetero woman bi" plot), however I think it's a little sad that you don't usually see women (or men for that matter) kiss on US TV, because the gay couples on TV here kiss, wake up in the same bed and do what hetero couples do on TV, too.

Linnie, how far along in the 4th season are you with Buffy? Because in Buffy episode-419 "New Moon Rising" (which was on TV over here just last night), Willow finally comes out as a dyke! Sparked by the sudden return of Oz, she realizes what her relatiosnhip with Tara really is and comes out to Buffy and tells Tara that she loves her. Yay for Willow!
It's really nice that they portray love as something that's both romantic and erotic and that does not depend on gender.

Buffy -who, in that episode, expects Riley to tolerate and be okay with her odd relationship past (aka Angel)- first reacts a little startled and nervous but realizes that this isn't much different from her own situation and in the end assures Willow she's fine with it.
I agree with you Linnie, yup, sure, we know what happens when Willow blows out that candle in Taras room, but I'd love to see them being more physical, simply because we see Riley and Buffy in bed all the bloody time.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 05-10-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love ER! Great show. I thought that it was great that were introducing something different.

Maybe the more people that watch this show will understand that people who are disabled, also have a sexual life.

Carrie couldn't admit to some people that she was bisexual. It was hard for her, and she said she wasn't ready to tell anyone. What do you guys feel about that? I felt bad, (even though I am not bisexual or a lesbian) I think that people should be proud of who they are, they shouldn't let other people infear and worry about what they are going to say. Maybe that is easier for me to say, then for some people.

Anyways, its a good story.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kim, that's right. Susan was the one who was in love with George Clooney and had twins, right?

I'm not sure what I think about Carrie not admitting that she's bisexual to others. It was a rather quick change for her, and I probably wouldn't feel comfortable with telling everyone I was bisexual just them either. Especially after she heard all the other doctors and nurses gossiping about how Kim was a lesbian. But I'm not sure... Hopefully she'll come to feel comfortable with it.

Eek, I'm just so excited about this! LOL. Does anyone know if there's a new episode on tonight?

------------------

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, there's a new episode on tonight. I've heard that the storyline is moving towards Kerry coming out some time in the future, too. I think that one of the reasons she was reluctant to come out before was because it was such a sudden change, and she hadn't had time to reach a point where she'd be comfortable coming out yet. Also, her disability already set her apart as different from others, and I think that she wasn't happy about the fact that being gay/bisexual would isolate her further.

(And Carol was the one with the twins and George Clooney. Susan was a doctor who left for Phoenix early on in the show. )

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, come to think of it. Buffy and Riley do hang out on each other's beds alot.

I obviously missed that episode because we are done with the fourth season of Buffy. Hmm.

It's okay, Star World is showing it again so I can catch it again.

------------------
Want More Lin?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clav
Activist
Member # 678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be more bi people on TV anyway. Even a recent Channel 4 program 'Metrosexuality' didn't have any (and it had pretty much everything else!). It's probably just too confusing for the writers to make any storylines !!
But gay couples on TV have definitely helped people's views, since it broadens the mind of the watchers.

Lin, as someone who spends lots of time in Hong Kong: I sympathise with you having to watch Star World. It's one of the worst TV channels I've seen around the world, and I've seen lots (for censorship, and 'cos there are TOO MANY ADS! Grr...). Lovely BBC - no ads. Even if they haven't started Buffy Season 5 yet.

Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

So did you guys (for all of you whose television company provided it) watch ER on Thursday? It was great! I wonder what the letter Carrie gave Kim said... I'm glad she finally gave it to her, though .

For those of you who missed it: Carrie went to Kim's house to give her a letter about how she felt, but another woman opened the door (Kim was seeing someone else). Carrie didn't give the woman the letter to give to Kim, but she did give it to Kim later at the hospital.

That's really all that happened... I hope they show more of their relationship next Thursday or else we'll have to wait 'til fall!!! Next week is the season finale.

I'm really glad they're showing more gay couples on tv, too, Clav. I mean, what greater way is there to get through to the minds of homophobics than television? I think Will and Grace is great, because they show Will and Jack as real human beings and not JUST homosexuals. And did you know that Karen is bisexual in real life? 'Tis true, 'Tis true.

By the way, what do you guys think about Ellen getting cancelled right after she came out?

------------------

Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Well, last night I sat down and watched my new fav show: Sex and the City. I expected women with men, women with men, clothes, shoes, and more women with men. But suprisingly there was an extra woman thrown in there... Yes, one of the main characters (Samantha) just entered a relationship with another woman. YAY!!!!!! We can all rejoice now .

------------------
Don't mess with Texas

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.