Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » "But I read somewhere that..."

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "But I read somewhere that..."
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, all.

Please limit asking us to explain or unpack information you have read somewhere else, rather than focusing on the information we provide here, especially if what you have heard or read has not come from a site from a credible organization, book, or a healthcare provider.

The internet - and people like friends or family members - is an open, largely unmoderated space,one full of misinformation on all kinds of things, including about sex, sexuality and reproduction. It is a given people will voice ignorance or misunderstandings. We often cannot know why someone does, and our work is to provide accurate information here, not to focus on misinformation or heresay elsewhere.

So, we ask you focus on what we provide for you or link you to, on our site or at others we know to be credible, and limit questions about why you heard something somewhere else.

What you can do to control that is to make sounder choices in where you are getting your information and what you are giving weight to, and that needs to be on you, not us. For help figuring that out, check this out: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/etc/legit_or_unfit_finding_safe_sound_sex_educators_support_online

This kind of thing being asked from us simply is not a sound use of anyone's time, including your own, and takes away from time otherwise spent on just providing factual information here.

[ 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this as a reminder.

Seriously, folks, it is on you what you seek out to read, and on you to choose sound sources. If you choose not to do that and freak yourself out, you need to calm yourself down, not ask us to do it.

Personal responsibility: it's a thing. We need you to take it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

And again.

It is not our job to try and track down, dissect and correct information from all over the internet. Please stop asking us to. If you have an issue or question with something you have read elsewhere, THAT site or writer is who to bring your questions to.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.