Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Heather Away/Update

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heather Away/Update
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, all, just leaving a little update to keep you posted about what's been going on with me. You're all so transparent here when you're in a bad way, so it seems a bit strange not to be myself. Goodness knows we can all be in a bad way sometimes, and I'm certainly no exception.

The last few months have been really tough on me, with several kinds of pretty awful illness (and then my partner having some illness, too), a lot of financial hardship, a lot of things needing to happen for the site that have asked for a level of time, work and resources that have really stretched me to my limits. I've been really exhausted, and just really struggling. As things stood before last week, I was arranging to cut down my hours here out of necessity, simply because the number of hours I had been putting in were unsupported, and our budget is also such that -- as has been the case far more than once through the 15 years of the site -- I knew I'd need to take some time away to look for, and hopefully find, some extra paying work to support myself with. Wasn't too thrilled about that, either, for a host of reasons.

But then, at the start of last week, my partner and I came home from dinner to find my very beloved pug of 12 years dead, without any warning or illness beforehand. I've unfortunately walked in on a body and traumatic death before in my life, so something already awful is extra-triggering for me, plus, anyone who knows me knows that my dog and I were inseparable. Losing her, and like this, was really, really awful.

It turns out, we found out after we had the vet do a necropsy, that she had a very rare and always terminal brain illness around 1% of pugs can get which resulted in a seizure and then a stroke which killed her. It's not something anyone usually sees coming, is an illness (PDE) usually only discovered after this kind of death happens. The lone blessings in this are that a) usually pugs who are only 2 or 3 get it and die from it, so she had a far, far longer life than most who have it, and b) her death would have been very quick and relatively painless.

In any event, it was just kind of one more thing on top of everything else that just made...well, everything too much for me. I've been very depressed since, and just unable to do much of anything, feeling like I don't have anything to offer anyone right now. I'm so sorry to any of you who were working with me through your own things and who I left hanging.

Tomorrow, I head out of town for just over a week to do a bunch of talks. Tough timing for me, to have to be on right now when I'd really rather not climb out of bed, but I'm going to pull myself up by my bootstraps, get it together and do it. I lived in the city I'm heading to for several years, so will also have some time with good friends. That, and getting away from a house that feels so empty right now, should help, and I hope to come back at the end of next week able to shift back into work here slowly and with some semblance of the energy and patience I usually have.

Again, my apologies, and we all also owe big thanks to all of our volunteers who have worked really hard to pick up my slack lately. If everyone could give them some extra rope, and also maybe too do your best to help the volunteers help and support your fellow community members in my absence, I'd deeply appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to being back here soon, and I hope this finds everyone well.

[ 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big hugs, Heather!

You're so wonderfully helpful to me, and i realize that I usually tend to think of you as some sort of superwoman that has all the answers. And maybe, because of that, I take advantage of you a little bit.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. I know how much you love your pets, and that this unfortunately isn't the first time during out e-friendship that you've lost one.

So, once again, hugs! I hope your time away is good, and if the city you're going to happens to be Chicago, say hello to it for me!

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Atonement:
You're so wonderfully helpful to me, and i realize that I usually tend to think of you as some sort of superwoman that has all the answers. And maybe, because of that, I take advantage of you a little bit.

I concur because I too tend to think of you as superwoman. You're no less of a superhero now though, you're simply a superhero who needs to be her own superhero right now.

Thanl you so, so much for all that you do. I don't think that I can accurately put into word what it is that Scarleteen has given me. I came here when I was just begining to come out to myself, back when I still had a ton of deep-seeded internalised homophobia. I had never experienced a comunity quite like Scarleteen where being queer was just as common as not. I love Scarleteen. Thank you for all that you do, you are amazing.

And I hope that things start getting better for you and easier to handle. Please take care of yourself and don't take on too much. You need to care for yourself first. Go you for taking the time that you need to deal with everything that you have going on in your life.

You are amazing!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many hugs from me!

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the tough stuff that's been happening, especially your pug!I don't personally own a pet, but a friend of mine has recently lost her cat. I think I can relate, even a little. -more hugs-

I hope that you enjoy your time with friends and get a good chance to relax. You sound like you've been working so, so hard.

-even more hugs-

I also hope that, when you're back, you will feel much better. As much as I love all of our volunteers and members, it's just not the same not having you around.

-lots more hugs-

Take care of yourself, Heather!

[ 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: SansNom ]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry Heather, I hope you get the time you need to process this and heal. Remember you have the right to take care of yourself.

I offer hugs if you want them, I would post some comforting piece of media, but I know the site has rules about copyright.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best wishes for you Heather. Any loss, whatever it is, requires grieving time. And you've already been through so much. Take the time you need, and I'll see if I can help out a bit on the web-site while you're away.

-super hugs for Heather "Max"-

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that you're feeling a bit better soon.
Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather, are you back now? I assume so because you've made some new posts. [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much to all of you for your kindness and support. I really, really appreciated it.

And yep: I just got home last night from all my work travel, and am going to slowly ease myself back in. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Gee that was quick. Less than two minutes after the last post. [Wink]
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back Heather. Lots of organic granolary love to you. [Smile]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!! A very welcome back, Heather, and hoping that you are doing well! Lots of love from me too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back Heather! It's great to have you back, I've missed you being here! [Big Grin]

I hope you're feeling a bit better about all the stuff that's been going on with you.

Welcome, welcome, welcome back!!!!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Thanks so much, moonlight, Djuna and Sans. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

You're SO welcome! [Big Grin]

And I loved the fact that you called me "Sans"! It sounds way cooler than "SansNom". [Smile]

--------------------

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

So since "Sans" means "without" - she called you "Sans" without the Nom, or "Sans"Nom. [Wink] Pretty cool moniker you have there! [Smile]

[ 05-12-2012, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Lol! Love the really cool word play! [Big Grin]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.