Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Recent Post

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recent Post
silverambera
Neophyte
Member # 44467

Icon 8 posted      Profile for silverambera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After spending some time away from this site (2 weeks?) I've came back to only notice something wrong. In the Recent Posts section on my profile, its listed that I've posted quite a few responces on a topic. When I clicked on the link, I saw that the posts were by a different member. What gives?

--------------------
Now that I know what I’m without
you can't just leave me - "Bring Me To Life"
(feat. Paul McCoy)

Posts: 21 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My impression is that sometimes, if an IP address is the same or similar, that can happen.

It's a database fluke, and not something we can do anything about, to my knowledge.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silverambera
Neophyte
Member # 44467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverambera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if an IP address is similar or the same that means its from the same computer? The computer I use is my personal laptop, only my sister uses it sometimes (she's still into computer games, not interested is Sex Ed).
If it is a mix up, I feel like I'm spying on someones posts [Razz] - okay, so not really cool.

--------------------
Now that I know what I’m without
you can't just leave me - "Bring Me To Life"
(feat. Paul McCoy)

Posts: 21 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All posts here are public, so no one is spying on anyone's anything.

If an IP address is similar, it can be because of a shared computer OR because of a shared group IP. When any of us uses an IP connection through something like Comcast or Qwest, that IP may be used by others, too, because a service provides a block of IPs for it's local users.

Ultimately, the database for the board mixing up things like that sometimes in a recent posts search just isn't something we can control, and it's something which may happen with any UBB from time to time.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vince_2112
Neophyte
Member # 42314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vince_2112     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not an IP issue. It is impossible for 2 ISP's to issue 2 of the exact same IP Address only because each ISP has to register to a registry IANNA "http://www.iana.org/" and they are assigned a pool of IP addresses that the ISP can then issue out to there clients. One of those IP addresses in their pool gets assigned to either your home network or business... now that ip address gets sent to a router on your buisness network or home network wich then the route does a proccess called NAT,( basicly takes the ip address and re-creates a private IP address for your internal computer on your network- But these internal ipadresses dont get seen beyond the router)

So what im trying to explain is that duplicate ip address can't happen for this reason as its all controlled by a greater power. (lol)

This what you describe with the user posting issue is an example of records merging in a database. Thats what happened and why that one user increased your count for posts. It does happen a lot with databases but i strongly erg you guys to keep on top of issues like this as it can cause major corruption ( data loss) if its not rectified quick enough. (hopefully the DBA's are making good backups [Smile] )

Posts: 13 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Vince: thanks for this.

We do keep the UBB database updated pretty well. I could manually update it more often, but given the size of the database, that tends to involve several hours of downtime at the boards.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Vince_2112
Neophyte
Member # 42314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vince_2112     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally understand. It is a big job. I just noticed that this topic is almost a year old to haha. I thought it was recent but not.
Posts: 13 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.