Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » We need more volunteers! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: We need more volunteers!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're in need again of some new volunteers at Scarleteen. Primarily, what we need right now are:
• Message board moderators (those applying for that must have 50 solid posts or more, and have a good deal of those be helping others, not just one's own questions)
• A helper or two to keep our Facebook page active
• A helper or two with some of what grunt work for the main site (cleaning things up, checking for needed edits, etc.)
• I would also really like to have a couple peer consultants to call on from the following areas: India, China, Malaysia, Africa. If there are any of you out there who are Islamic, no matter where you are, that would also be extremely helpful. That's because we have some questions in Sexpert Advice I want to answer, but do not feel comfortable answering alone as a white, first-world person due to cultural issues/relativism I'm bound to have.

What I need per volunteers are people who can commit to around 5 hours a week of work, and who are clear enough in their commitment that they are sure they'll be around and active at that level for at least six months. I also need volunteers to commit to any conversations around additions or changes to the organization.

If you're interested, please go here: http://www.scarleteen.com/scarleteen_volunteer_application

When you fill that out, you can go here: http://www.scarleteen.com/contact to send it. You can't attach files that way, but I'll email you back for any ID scans. You can also use postal mail to do that, the address for us is at the link for the volunteer application.

Thanks!

Just FYI, I'm in the midst of a bunch of household changes, one of which involves a switch of all the utilities. There was an issue here of not having the hardware in the house needed for my new phone/net services, so if I don't post here (or elsewhere on the boards) for a couple of days after this, that's why.

[ 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, darn! I'd so love to help you guys out, Heather, but I don't know if I'm qualified enough for any of the positions, and I'm not sure if I would be able to keep the 5 hours a week up in a few months' time, what with exams and whatnot.

What I'll do is, see what exams are like this semester, and if I find that I WOULD still have enough time to volunteer, I'll become one during second semester if you still need it [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a note, Onionpie and anyone else worried that they have to put in 5 hours each and every week: plenty of us have things such as trips or exams that mean that we are MIA for a week or two at a time. While it's best to be able to commit to volunteering consistently for a long time, a lot of us are students and have things like that come up.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jenn, I'd love to have you, so by all means, let me know.

And by all means, what atm1 said is important. Especially since in all honestly we are just so short-staffed that we really, truly need whatever help anyone can give.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh! Okay then. I'll go fill out the form right away 8D *glee*

Edit: Okay, so I've filled out the form, but I have to wait until next wednesday for my parents to come back from vacation so that they can write the permission letter [Smile] I'll get the form in as soon as they write the letter [Big Grin]

[ 09-24-2009, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Great to hear you're applying, and good luck with the application, Jenn! [Smile] ]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

thanks so much, lena [Smile]
Serafine
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serafine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always need more active volunteers, so thanks for applying, Onionpie!
Posts: 82 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent my app in more than a week ago.. I'd just like to know if you got it? I can dedicate some time for sure, especially if there's a shortage. [Smile]
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Droderi
Neophyte
Member # 42154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Droderi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather,
I sent of a volunteer application last winter, and then never quite got going on a schedule, but I'd be happy to help with clean up and editing if needed. Should I resend the volunteer app?

Thanks,

Posts: 2 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Lauren, I'll get back to you before the week's end.

Droderi, yes, resending the app would be great, thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can I do if I don't want to ask my parents' permission, it is not that I think they would say no, it is more that I don't want to let them know I use this site as it may bring up more talk about my orientation. (I am hoping they will forget I came out to them) I do realize that you need parental consent but I am not sure what to do, I am also unsure about the references, I only have one from other volunteer work that comes to mind, but I don't know how comfortable I would be having her as reference for this volunteer work. Do you have any suggestions? I do realize how silly I am being.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

If you're under 18, we simply would need that parental consent, and that's just how it is.

I appreciate your interest, but I also think it's okay you aren't at the point where volunteering would work for you on that end yet. You're a pretty new user, and we generally want board volunteers to have spent at least some months here, anyway, and to have a better grasp of most of our materials, how to use the boards and the main site to find information, and the like.

So, for now, why not spend some more time at the main site -- like for those questions you had about terms the other day -- and know that you can help other users here while still a general user, something everyone appreciates. [Smile] As time passes, if you either become of age to apply without permission or feel more comfortable asking for that permission, we can revisit this.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks, you're right it's probably a good idea to wait a little while longer. I did pretty much figure you needed the parental consent, if I am still interested in a few months I will just have to find a way to ask them.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Padlock
Neophyte
Member # 44870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Padlock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am more than willing to help out, however I was a lurker until I saw this post.

I am a undergrad student in Human Sexuality studies (Junior) and I am going to do research for the Center of Sexual Health Promotion this coming spring. As of right now I teach a discussion group of 12 students in human sexuality matters and answer questions. I also plan on continuing my graduate studies in sexual health here at Indiana University Bloomington.

Once I gain the post requirement I will be more than willing to volunteer.

Posts: 6 | From: Bloomington, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey Padlock, great to see you here! I'm currently a student at IU myself, and I, too, would love to finish my graduate work in sexual health here. I am sure you would be a great asset to Scarleteen, and we look forward to receiving your application once you've been around a little while longer! [Smile] ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cuddly
Neophyte
Member # 45730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cuddly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was wondering if you still needed volunteers...i would like to become one but would find it useless to put in an app if you didnt need more...i am a really nice guy...that is always wanting to help someone in need it would be nice to spend my free time helping people in need...then shooting aliens in a game that i found online or something...

--------------------
The Cuddly

Posts: 12 | From: Oregon | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey there, Cuddly. We always do, but since you're fairly new to the site, why don't you spend a few months here first, get a feel for the place, then check back in with me if you're still interested? [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cuddly
Neophyte
Member # 45730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cuddly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok will do! thanks!

--------------------
The Cuddly

Posts: 12 | From: Oregon | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilstrawberry
Activist
Member # 39129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely be interested, although I haven't responded to that many questions here. Honestly my free sex question-answering time has tended to go to yahooanswers [Roll Eyes] ...there are just FAR less capable people like Heather and company around to help people who are panicked/in need of info. It makes me realize really how great these boards are for people. Not sure about the time commitment (when volunteers are needed) but hey, I got free time and it's totally a worthwhile cause [Smile]
Posts: 117 | From: U.S. | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather, you asked if I wanted to volunteer and I wasn't sure if you got my email back, sorry if i was supposed to do something else like come here and fill out the application form, but I am interested in becoming a moderator if I'm still welcome.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jill, we'll make sure that Heather gets back to you when she's back from the SexTech conference.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thankyou very much atm1... does anyone ever ask you if they can withdraw $20 in cash? [Wink]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

haha, nope! I had never even thought of that!
retroVISION
Neophyte
Member # 46053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retroVISION     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be more than willing to help on the facebook page! I am online a lot throughout the day!! If you need me you can find me on facebook at;

Edited for your safety.

Otherwise my email is (Edited: Email removed for your safety)
I am very interested in this education.

[ 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

Posts: 2 | From: Cranbrook BC | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

retro: thanks for the offer, but especially with something like our FB page, we'll need to have some history with any volunteers. In other words, we'd need to have a person be around on the site for a while first (and also get the hang of our guidelines), rather than a brand-new user.

So, if you do wind up hanging around here, and are still interested in a few months, please let us know. [Smile]

Jill: will be getting back to you today! Thanks for the patience. In the meantime, we do need a volunteer app from you, and that's here: http://www.scarleteen.com/scarleteen_volunteer_application

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

We are still finding ourselves very short-handed with volunteers right now, especially for the boards: are any of you interested?

Just to be plain, we do ideally need users who have more than 50 posts, who can spend a couple hours a week helping other users and creating new topics, and who already know how our boards work and are in alignment with our core values and how we do things around here.

It's also really important that any volunteers aren't in their own kind of crisis or just coming out of one, but pretty much have their own stuff together. Sometimes work here can be very emotionally challenging, so if you're not in a good headspace, it doesn't tend to be a good fit for long.

We love having as many peer-age volunteers as possible, just know anyone under 18 who wants to volunteer does need permission from parents. All volunteers also have to provide a copy of their identification to verify their identity.

If you're interested, please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page, include your username here, and I'll take a look and if we go forward with the next step, get you a volunteer application to fill out.

Thanks!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to help out on the boards, but I'm not sure about the headspace thing at the moment. I'd be happy to do some proofreading or something though; my pedantic brain has spotted quite a few errors in articles on the main site. Is this something that's needed, and if so do I need to fill in an application?
Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Good on you for knowing and honoring your limits. [Smile]

Editing help is great, and we do need a volunteer app for that. Because that's not what we need most right now, though, and because I'm about to be in moving hell, just know it may take a few weeks for me to set you up for that.

Thanks!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still need board volunteers, so...
:::Bump:::

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent my application!

I've been reading Scarleteen for a few months now and am pretty active on the boards. I've answered some questions and kept my nose out of the things that I don't really have answers for. I'm still a pretty newish user, only two or three months of experience, but I'm already on this site daily anyway, and I'd love to help support it!

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devanie
Activist
Member # 46095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to volunteer for you guys, but I'm probably going to wait another month or so, because I'm not so sure how I feel about the parental consent thing.

Also, I have a few issues I need to work out.

But once I get through a few things, I'd be over joyed to volunteer for you guys!

So if you still need volunteers when I'm ready, prepare yourself for the most epic application you have ever received from the lovely Devanie! =p

Posts: 116 | From: SL | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How will I find out if I've been accepted as a volunteer or not? Will Scarleteen email me?

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samanthamt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about the professional reference section of the volunteer application. It says that a reference from a professor is okay, but does it have to be a professor geared towards healthcare, or can it be any professor, like a math professor for example?

--------------------
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 104 | From: U.S | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

It can be a teacher of anything.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.