Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Thank You, Heather Corinna

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thank You, Heather Corinna
DixDix
Neophyte
Member # 46291

Icon 10 posted      Profile for DixDix         Edit/Delete Post 
All of the work you've put into this amazing site is just so wonderful I can hardly express it. There's no other place on the web like this that is so supportive of everyone and everyone's choices and presents sex in the positive way that we don't get at home or school or society. Without Scarleteen I would be very confused, sexually unconfident, and possibly disgusted with myself, but I've been able to look at extensive articles AND ask direct questions and I feel wonderful about myself - sexuality is such a big part of identity! I hope your ideas (ESPECIALLY your ideas on female sexuality, which I've been preaching, by the way)become widespread and accepted by our culture - if this happened, the main sores in society would be healed! You've done so much for so many people, and I really want to make sure you're appreciated properly. Thank you so much.

--------------------
-Dix Dix

Posts: 11 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DixDix, that was so lovely to read. Thanks so much for taking the time to write and post this, I really appreciate it and you. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Heather,

I just read your blog post titled 'That Guy'. It was especially useful for me to read about your childhood and your reflections as an adult on the power dynamic between you and your step father/caretakers.

it clicked with me because it put a lot of my own personal story in context. It helped me understand things about the person who was suppose to be my biological father that no one spelled out for me before in this manner. It allowed me to see my 12-13 year old self as a empowered and strong, despite "his" actions. It helped me realize that the individual was really just pathetic and didn't have any real power; except to react to the power, independance and inner strength I had as that 12-13 year old.

More recently, it also helped me provide a context and see that the "abusive" interaction I had with a person aboard (who also assaulted and abused me) was also along the same dynamics. I may have had low self esteem in those circumstances, but I stayed undefeated and strong, despite all. And that gives me a lot of strength and courage....thank you!!!!

Best wishes.

Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a site like this proves that the journey is just (if not more) important than the destination. I think there are many people who have well passed their teens who could still get a lot of useful, down-to-earth, helpful information from this site (I am one of them). As always, the emotional side is so important with pretty much every part of being human, and it's so true that you don't just get handed wisdom automatically as you get older. [Smile] It comes from taking part in things, and learning and growing throughout your life.

Thanks Heather, and to all for the courage everyone shows here every day! [Smile]

[ 02-24-2011, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to both of you! I woke up to such sweet notes this morning here: such an awesome way to start my day. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I would like to say - based on what I know about you from reading your posts and articles on the web-site, that photo in the About Us section really fits you spot on. Someone who has experienced pain and heartache in the past, but who has come out the other side and uses her personal power to help others! I know that our personal appearance is a very small part of who we are, but I thought that that picture suits you very well. [Smile] They say you don't really "know" someone as well on the internet, but if there a lot of heartfelt and honest posts by someone, they have high standards for what they do and say and you view their efforts on many occasions, you can get a pretty good idea. [Smile] The funny thing about internet stuff is that you don't always see the person or their accent, etc., but you judge them based on their words. Sometimes you can get misled (like if you haven't viewed them at enough different time points or there is incentive to be less than truthful), but if you read lots, and there is a lot of good stuff, you view the nuances, that helps make the person, even if they are on the Internet. [Smile]

Also, you are one of the only ones from the web-site who can show their identity publically. Even though I'd love to, there is still a huge amount of negative sentiment around sexuality issues in societies today, and people who would misuse certain information. But one's core is important, and that doesn't need a name. [Smile] Our essence (our individuality and also our shared experiences and existence) shines through!

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

This is a fantastic site, and I will be supporting it when I have some spare cash. [Smile]

[ 02-27-2011, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

I'm sorry if I scared you or went too close to your wounds, based on the words I chose. Yes, I know I am not your "friend" but I value what you do and what you say. You (and many others) know that you are a special, unique person. And you also know that each one of us is special and unique too. [Smile] I agree!
Heather
Member # 3

No worries: I actually didn't even see these posts until just now. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

I was reading that part of the site that said "we are educators, not friends" or somesuch. But I think this is a definition thing more than anything. I guess one could say "valued online acquaintance" if we wanted to go into semantics. [Wink] What did you think about what I wrote?
Heather
Member # 3

We mention that because it's very important that we have good boundaries with users here, especially in educating/talking about sex and sexuality with young people (and in my case, with people much younger than I am).

I appreciate your warm compliments: thanks!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Yes, good boundaries need to be set and respected. Because of the massive amount of good stuff on this site, and because of your incredible amount of candid and honest articles on some very difficult topics which have been a painful part of your past, which thankfully you have overcome most of, I think "respected online acquaintance" is quite a good term that doesn't break boundaries. [Smile] What I was trying to say in my previous post was about character - you can get a good idea of character with enough collaborating information and background, and you can be a respected acquaintance even if you are acting in a professional capacity. [Smile]

Btw: you're not as much older than me than a lot of other members on this forum, I am in my early 30's. But I think even a lot of older people could get a lot from this site. [Smile] It is very true that wisdom doesn't just come from age, but I do understand that older people may be more set in their ways than younger people, which is why you say the focus of your site is on young people. [Smile] But even though I am not as young as most other Scarleteen members, I still feel quite young at my age. [Wink] <grin>

[ 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.