Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Careers in sexual health?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Careers in sexual health?
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I'm set to go to college for nursing, which I will start this fall. I think I may get additional training to become an OBGYN nurse. But I was wondering what other careers could I pursue? Sexual health/well being is very important to me, that probably has a lot to do with me being a rape survivor. But anyway I'm just looking for some suggestions as to what I could do to get into this kind of field, and what kinds of jobs are available in it.

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that you can definitely due is train to specialize in collecting rape kits and working with survivors of sexual assault, if you don't feel like that work would be too upsetting.

I'll let someone else speak up more about jobs that are focused more on education, but I do know that nurses with that special training are really valued.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marshall Miller and Dorian Solot -- who are sex educators -- have a really good, basic piece on all of the ways some of us come into sex education, and the ways we can provide it here: http://www.sexualityeducation.com/sexeducator.php

For me, for instance, I came to this both via education (I was a classroom Montessori teacher before I did this) and journalism/the arts. You can perhaps see how those two combined resulted in Scarleteen. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Heather. Honestly, I don't think I would want to be a sex educator. Why? Because the kids never seem to take it seriously until you get until you get to the high school upperclassmen and even then a lot of it is viewed as just a joke. (By the way I am basing that on what reactions I have seen from students from over the years). I guess its embarrassing and that can invoke a lot of the reactions, especially in the younger kids but I have the need to be taken seriously at work. I think I would want to be something along the lines of a councilor (rape, discussing pregnancy options, etc.) Any leads on that?

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on what kind of counseling you want to do. For instance, if you want to do rape crisis counseling, you'll want to connect with a rape crisis org to get training and work. If you want to do options counseling, with an abortion clinic.

If you want a general background in counseling where you can then branch out to specific areas like that, you'd ideally be talking about studying psychology, then looking into something like an MSW after a bachelors.

FYI? I disagree with you about doing sexuality education and that being the unilateral reaction: it so depends on the group and individuals, the context, but also... young people tend to say different things to each other than to an educator. I can't tell you how many times when doing in-person ed I've had someone who I thought got the least out of it, or who gave the most grief during a session come up to me privately afterwards with more questions and to say they really appreciated what I did. Just sayin. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Padlock
Neophyte
Member # 44870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Padlock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana University at Bloomington offers many opportunities to study sexual health. We have the Kinsey Institute here and the Center for Sexual Health Promotion.

Currently, I am in the IMP program getting my major in Human Sexuality. I already teach discussion group human sexuality and I love it.

Some career fields include:
-Sex Therapist
-Researcher
-Planned Parent Hood
-Sex Toy companies
-Human Trafficking work for Interpol or the FBI
-Marriage Counselor
-Advocates for LGBT communities
-Aid worker in Africa

and many many more

Posts: 6 | From: Bloomington, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

I think I'm going to take a two year nursing program, & specialize in ob. Then go back to school and get my associates in psychology, (hopefully in one year since a lot of my credits tie together) then transfer to a 4 year school, get a bachelors in psychology. I think that might work, but I'm still kinda confused.

--------------------
- Kaydee

Heather
Member # 3

Well, you probably can't suss out ALL of this right now.

And even starting with the nursing program in OB/GYN is likely to give you more information to make all these choices about.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Alright, thank you for you help =]

--------------------
- Kaydee

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.