Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Training in Lesbian sexual health?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Training in Lesbian sexual health?
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather and the team,

Some of you might remember me, I used to be an advocate until life became so mentally busy I almost puked.

One of the reasons I've been so busy has been that I was involved in running my university and now a national LGBT campaign in Ireland.

One of the huge walls we've hit time and time again in terms of our campaigns and events is finding someone to give a lesbian sexual health module.

I'm so annoyed about it, that we can't provide even one person to do a module about it in the biggest training weekend for LGBT students in UK and Ireland(which is happening right now) that I've decided I want to train to do it so that I can provie it.

Is there anywhere, even outside Ireland, where there is specific training for lesbian sexual health? Do you have any ideas what else I could do if this isn't a viable option?

Thanks, and it's great to see the good work continuing,

Rebecca

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who I would contact in the UK about that is Stonewall: http://www.stonewall.org.uk/

Good on you, Becs! We've missed you, but I'm so glad to see you pursuing this!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Heather,

Thanks, I've missed being around here too! I'm really determined to get something done about this.
We had such an amazing training weekend, with 175 LGBTs descended on my college (I ran a coming out workshop, it was awesome), we were able to provide a fully professional men's sexual health, but unable to source one person to do a lesbian health module in all of Ireland. We tried the resource centres (both LGBT ones and lesbian ones) and people either didn't answer the phone or didn't have anyone. [Roll Eyes] I had a 15 minute rant the other day about it.

My gf has worked as a national student welfare officer here in Ireland, so between the two of us we're going to put together something. My best friend is the current national student LGBT rights officer, and I'm on the working group that runs LGBT campaign in the national students' union, so ffs, if I can't manage to put something accurate, interesting and relevant together then I'll be really disappointed!

It's time to be the change you want to see and all that [Wink]

I'll definitely consult stonewall and see their ideas and try and get a feel for the research they've been conducting, and what help they can give. Their lesbian health survey results should be intriguing, as the pool of research out there for lesbians is practically non-existent.

Thanks for the link Heather, hopefully I'll be around here a bit more! [Smile]

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Oh and of course I have my scarleteen book that I may plunder for research also [Wink]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.