Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » to Heather

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: to Heather
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm really out of what this site is intended for but I'd really like to know something Heather.

Part of why I really like helping others is that I get some sort of satisfaction out of it. I don't know if you understand what I mean. I feel great after knowing that I've helped people even if this is just little help I've offered them. To be able to maybe just make a little change in their life of so or be able to just make them learn something new, this means a lot to me. But this helping other people thing is still really new to me.

So, (I really do not like intruding into people's personal life or opinions or so, so just answer me if you want to okay ?)

What I'm curious about is did you first feel the same as me when you first started helping people ? Is that one of the reasons you did ?

And is this something still going on for you , that satisfaction thing(if it is the case), after all those years or did it becomes some sort of a routine, not something you really still think about now ?

I was wondering that and you seemed to be a great person to ask so...

And, other users or volunteers, feel free to just stop by and say something too.

[ 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a really good question.

When i started here i was having a really hard time myself. I was severely depressed and cutting and ... i just was just a mess. I didn't know a lot about anything back then, and did a lot of observing.

Gradually i got the hang of things and was able to help people. I felt SO much better about myself. It helped me gain a lot of self confidence. My friends started coming to ME specifically for advice.

I do love helping people. I love helping people help themselves. I love sharing knowledge. I love helping people explore their own thoughts/feelings on a given subject. Probably one of the reasons i got into Nursing.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.