Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » For Heather

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For Heather
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I leave tonight at midnight to drive back home. I'm nervous and scared.. mainly because I know that this will be the last time that I see Max. It's good but it's a bad feeling. I still love him, but yes, things will not work out. I just need some encouragement right now. It's a 12 hour drive, I work 3-10 tonight and won't get a nap in before my trip. You've been so helpful to me (and everyone else) throughout my hard times. Thank you. Please just give me some encouragement... please? [Frown]
Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you mapped out your route yet?

I presume that there is a point, once you reach Chicago, that you'll be driving on 94 through to Minnesota?

(I do ask these things for good reason, I promise. [Smile] )

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68230 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe so yes. I will hit 94 toward Eau Claire crossing into MN. It says I stay on 57 through Chicago, then I hit 39 and 90.

[ 12-14-2006, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: BiLLaBaBy017 ]

--------------------
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is mystery
Today is a gift

*^_AsHLeY_^*

Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, you're likely coming up 90 then: of course, that'd be faster from TN. Bummer. I was going to direct you to an inspiring place to take a short rest near Madison.

There goes that plan!

That one toast, it might help to recognize that this is the last stretch in a REALLY long journey, one that you'll soon be finished with. It's always a nice thing about road trips in that they can nicely symbolize a lot of things, and make everything feel a little more tangible.

You can do this: you already have done some of the hardest parts, and you're this close to there. (And when you get back in MN, if you want me to hook you up with a couple of women in the city who could offer you a break and some support now and then, please drop me an email and ask: I'd be glad to forge a connection or two for you, okay?)

I'm going to post something here that, if you have a means of printing, it might be nice to have printed out for yourself. If not, just keep it in your head. It's one of my favorite poems from one of my favorite poets, Marge Piercy: I've had a copy of this in some form pinned up somewhere everywhere I've lived for over 20 years now.

Let it be about you. And know we're thinking of you and rooting for you.

A strong woman is a woman who is straining.
A strong woman is a woman standing
on tiptoe and lifting a barbell
while trying to sing Boris Godunov.
A strong woman is a woman at work
cleaning the cesspool of the ages,
and while she shovels, she talks about
how much she doesn’t mind crying, it opens
the ducts of the eyes, and throwing up
develops the stomach muscles, and
she goes on shoveling with tears
in her nose.

A strong woman is a woman in whose head
a voice is repeating, I told you so,
ugly, bad girl, bitch, nag, shrill, witch,
ball buster, nobody will ever love you back,
why aren’t you feminine, why aren’t
you soft, why aren’t you quiet, why
aren’t you dead?

A strong woman is a woman determined
to do something others are determined
not be done.
She is pushing up on the bottom
of a lead coffin lid. She is trying to raise
a manhole cover with her head, she is trying
to butt her way through a steel wall.
Her head hurts. People waiting for the hole
to be made say, hurry, you’re so strong.

A strong woman is a woman bleeding
inside. A strong woman is a woman making
herself strong every morning while her teeth
loosen and her back throbs. Every baby,
a tooth, midwives used to say, and now
every battle a scar. A strong woman
is a mass of scar tissue that aches
when it rains and wounds the bleed
when you bump them and memories that get up
in the night and pace in boots to and fro.

A strong woman is a woman who craves love
like oxygen or she turns blue choking.
A strong woman is a woman who loves
strongly and weeps strongly and is strongly
terrified and has strong needs. A strong woman is strong
in words, in action, in connection, in feeling,
she is not strong as stone but as a wolf
suckling her young. Strength is not in her, but she
enacts it as the wind fills a sail.

What comforts her is others loving
her equally for the strength and for the weakness
from which it issues, lightning from a cloud.
lightning stuns. In rain, the clouds disperse.
only water of connection remains,
flowing through us. Strong is what we make
each other. Until we are all strong together,
a strong woman is a woman strongly afraid.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68230 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a really beautiful poem, Heather.

Have a good trip, Billababy.

Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Well I made it up here safely, no accidents or getting pulled over (phew!!) and things are great except for today. We got our first snow! It's very cold and slushy... barely good enough to drive. The poem you posted was wonderful, really made me think.

Both sides of my family know about what he's been doing to me, and they have told me that he's not welcome to my dad's or grandma's Christmas dinners. I feel bad for him for not being able to participate.

Until next time, have a Merry Christmas Heather and a wonderful New Year.

Heather
Member # 3

I'm so glad you got there okay, Ashley. And as I said, if you want me to hook you up with some good people in MN for support, just let me know: I'd be glad to.

I'm also glad to hear your family helping to keep him away from you. I understand you feel bad, but remember: he has chosen to do all of the things he has done to you, and -- when all's right with the world, anyway -- choices carry with them consequences. He chose those, too: if he didn't think he did, or didn't expect them, that's only because he expected to get away with his abuses. He's not the victim here or the one who needs protecting: you are.

I hope your holiday is wonderful for you: appreciate its freedom, however tough and long the transition to it has been.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.