Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » question about posts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question about posts
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if there was a way to know if someone is posting at the same time as me. Sometimes there's no answer for a post and I am writing the first answer but when I post it, there I find an answer giving already by another person which says almost the same thing as me.

It may feel like I'm just repeating info, which I am really not. It's just that when I post my post, someone had already replied during the time I wrote my post. So what do I do in those time ? Edit my post and delete eveything in it and leave it blank ? Or do you just you, moderators, delete it. Actually, it seems that moderators are deleting my post in those times. Could it be ?

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your email, cool87, at the adress you registered with.
We sent you something earlier today which should clear this up for you.

But no, there's no way to know when someone is answering a post at the same time.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for taking your time to write to me and clear few things up with me when you don't have that much time to yourself. I really appreciate it. I absolutly agree on what you said to me, how the site works. It's fine with me.

I didn't mean to post misinformation. I'm working on that. I should take a look first at the other questions that had already been answered. Learn more about issues that are being talked here. Sometimes, the new questions are just questions that has already been answered before in the archive.

By reading, I'll eventually get to know more and, by then, I'll be able to answer posts that I know the answer to, not all posts though.

So now, I will ONLY answer questions I'm sure of, not try to give them an answer. Do I still have a right to answer questions from time to time ?

Again, I thank you and all the other volunteers for your patience and understanding towards me because you must all be tired of me, my posting and my interfering. So a big thanks. I just hope you guys are not too mad at me and don't want me out.

P.S. I really like your site. It's fantastic. I've learned so much since I've been here and I've haven't been here since a long time so.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can absolutely answer questions you know the answer to, that's perfectly fine. And understand as well that we're not mad at you by any means - we're here to give you support and as much help as you need, we just ask that you follow the board rules because it actually makes it easier for us to help you (and everyone else) if you do.

One thing that may help you make sure you've got the correct information is reading through the articles on the main site. There's a lot of good stuff there, and we really encourage everyone to read the articles first, so it's a great place to start to learn the basic information.

[ 07-02-2006, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're willing to work this through.

And just so you know, none of us can answer all the posts. Pretty much every day I read something that is completely outside my knowledge or experience. I just leave those posts for someone who does have the ability to answer that question or, if it looks like no one has a good answer, I do some research and try to find some reliable information that the poster can use.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But no, there's no way to know when someone is answering a post at the same time.

And this is why you'll sometimes see the staff and volunteers edit our posts to say "Mindmeld!" when two of us have answered at the same time [Smile] .

It happens to everyone sometimes.

The best option is to make sure you've read all the replies that have already been posted, and make sure you know that what you're saying is 100% correct and hasn't been said before.

As you can see, the posts show the time when they were posted, so nobody will blame you if they see that your reply was posted within a few minutes of someone else.

If you want to be helpful, it's much better to concentrate on writing just a few really good answers to questions where you have something useful and original to say, than trying to answer lots of questions even when you're not sure.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.