Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Human Sexuality Studies in college, etc..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Human Sexuality Studies in college, etc..
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't quite sure where to ask this, so hopefully this forum was the right spot.

I know a lot of the staff on the site have studied human sexuality or similar topics in relation with medical careers, or other careers, so thought maybe you could give me some input on this:

I'm graduating high school in a month. I'll be taking a year or a little more off of school to work and possibly live in New Zealand, and I will be thinking more about a future career and college options during that time, but I am interested in studying human sexuality in college in corolation with a journalism or some similar writing-influenced major. I'm not exactly certain, but that's the area around which I was thinking to focus.

I am very interested in sexuality, both physically and from a mental outlook, and as well as that one of the topics I am most concerned with in the United States today is the poor sex education given to teenagers in schools today. I loved finding your site and was surprised I did not find it sooner than I did.

My question is basically if anyone has any advice or input about the sort of study I'm interested in. I'm not as interested right now in the medical side, such as becoming a obgyn or an obgyn nurse, but am keeping it in mind.

Any insight or information anyone could give me would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definately suggest a major correlation with a secondary focus in sexuality/gender studies/whatever. While it's great to want to totally focus your studies on an area like sexuality, it can sometimes end up being a limiting factor for your career field unless you plan on going into academia. Also, chances are good that you will end up changing jobs/professions several times within your working life, you'll want to have skills and a knowledge base that will allow you to adapt to changes in the market. So in other words, don't paint yourself into a corner.

I don't think there's anything wrong with studying human sexuality, certainly there aren't enough people around who have studied that area. But I would suggest taking it as something like a second major possibly or a minor (or even simply auditing classes in that area). Think creatively about it -- because there are lots of options as far as majors that would allow you to work in sexuality related fields. Social work, psychology, and education are all options. Or if you like the harder sciences, there is always biology or biomedical engineering.

From a personal standpoint, I study communication and will be soon focusing my studies on health communication. This is a broad field with many opportunities that also allows me to incorporate my interest in the type of communication that we do here as well.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that sexuality is a fascinating subject from every angle, human or otherwise, reproductive science or behavioral there are plenty of interesting questions to go around!
Sarah Liz has done a great job of covering the topics I was going to suggest when I read your post this am. I think the advice she gives is very sound. An MSW or Psychology major can give you lots of options as well, and there certainly is a great need in this area. It can be very difficult to find qualified individuals to handle referrals for sexuality counseling services, let alone general out-patient counseling. I attached a few links to sites that I have found to be reliable sources for human sexuality related information and education. These sites may prove to be informative from the career options angle as well.
I was going to attend a workshop through one of these agencies in Chicago a few years back but sadly the event was cancelled due to poor enrolment!
As to the OB/GYN angle, in practice with the way things are going in healthcare today you would likely be so overwhelmed with the demands of practice that there would be little time to explore the human sexuality aspects, either as an RN, NP or MD. http://www.arhp.org/
http://www.ashastd.org/
http://www.siecus.org/

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both for the response! I'll definitely check out those sites and keep my options wide open for possible career paths or changes.

Thanks so much, again!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
temporary bump

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.