Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » i need your help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i need your help
onedayatatime
Neophyte
Member # 20252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onedayatatime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok so this is a long and semi confusing story so i am going to try and sum it up fast and get to the point of me posting. i am now twenty-one years old and an elementary ed/early childhood major at a university in PA. when i was about eight years i was sexually abused by a family member. for years my mother and aunts hid this information from the rest of my family and i was forced to spend holidays and special occasions with this "man". finally when i was about nineteen i decided i had enough. i was missing out on my life because of something i didn’t do. i wanted people to know, especially my father because of the strain keeping this secret put on my relationship with him. my father was told and i was put into therapy where legally my therapist had to report what she heard to the police. long story short the family member was charged with indecent exposure and corrupting the mind of a minor. The statute of limitations for the crime committed on a minor is two years after your eighteenth birthday, and the date that they go on is the date the accused is arrested. The family member was arrested a week after my 20th birthday, which was two years and one week after my eighteenth birthday and got away with everything.
So now the point of me posting, I am trying to understand why society has such a hard time dealing with anything sexual. Why did my mother feel that she needed to keep what happened a secret, and how did she not know how it would effect the rest of my life. I’m really confused and I am looking for information on this topic. I was wondering if you knew of any sites or books that deal with this topic. All I need is a point in the right direction to help me get on with my life and hopefully finally put all of this in my past. I do not blame my mother or aunts for the way the dealt with the situation, because I know that they are only a product of their environment.

thank you for taking time out to read this, and for any advice you may give me

Posts: 1 | From: Phila., PA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.