Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Parents, Adults and Teens » Journals/Diaries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Journals/Diaries
Emily 249
Neophyte
Member # 28956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily 249     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was browsing a message board on another website I frequent and there was a topic up there centered around journals and privacy. Looking it over made me curious, so I wanted to poll the general audience.

Parents: would you/have you read your children's journals? Why or why not?

Sons and Daughters: Has a parent or family member ever read a journal of yours? Reactions? If not, what do you think your response would be if they did?

At my end, my parents never went through my journals (that I know of, at any rate). I used to be paranoid about keeping them in my room, but after awhile I started leaving them out around the house and didn't worry about it overmuch. My mom always made it clear that I could come to her with anything, and I think having the lines of communication open made her less likely to snoop. My dad probably didn't and still doesn't know what a journal even is.

Honestly, I was always more worried about my younger sister going through my journals, but after awhile they seemed to lose their mysterious appeal in her eyes when it became obvious that I wasn't harboring any secret boyfriends.

Come to think of it, my older journals are still sitting on a shelf in my room back home. Maybe I should think about taking those back with me next time I visit...

Posts: 39 | From: United States | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tetris
Neophyte
Member # 33273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tetris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister used to always steal them when I was younger. But there wasn't anything bad in them then.

Now I keep mine in a lock box and always have the key. My parents would probably jump on them if they could, even though I'm in college. It's not that they don't trust me, but when I was younger (and now) I was really into writing and was always working on a new story and and they would ask to read them and I would say no. However, the second I put a notebook down they would take it. I thought it was rude of them to do that. I'm not sure if they were trying to support me but it always made me cry and they still would take it. I used to read them my stories but when they started taking the notebooks it was a total invasion and I haven't read them one sence. Not even ones for school.

So I knew once I started writing a real journal in high school I needed to lock it up.

If they read the 2nd one I would be in so much trouble. It took me and my boyfriend a year and a half to kiss but it all went downhill fast and I wrote a lot about that and my feelings about it and stuff. I'm pretty sure I would die, haha! I never drank or did drugs but the sex with my boyfriend would have killed them. I think. I've never really talked about sex with my parents so I'm not sure.... I'm in college now so maybe things will change.

Posts: 23 | From: Somewhere | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of my relatives have gone through my journals. My 'friend' used to however. Bugged the crap out of me. My Grandma promised she never would after the 'friend' did that, and I trust her not to.

If one of my relatives read my journal? I'd burn them(...the journals). My journal's are very precious to me, because they are my private thoughts and I'nm afraid that if they read one of them, they knew everything.

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my sister reads my diary and always brings up what I wrote in it! and I HATE IT! because I said I kissed my friend at graduation and I think I actually like him and she read that and she wont let it go..serioulsey its stupid [Frown]

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.